Thread: ATTO-U2D in 8600?

Hi all
    I purchased one of these ATTO U2D http://eshop.macsales.com/Item_Speci...tem=APL6612274 without reading the fine print about working in B&W G3 on. I have it attached to 2 x IBM DCAS3340's in an 8600/xlr8G4/350. It wont boot with the drives power connected (otherwise OK). Is there a way I can get this to work?

Thanks
    Bernard

Are these the SCA-80 pin model? Trouble. Even so, they are rated at 8MB/s while there are lots of IDE and SCSI options that will deliver 20MB/s (narrow SCSI or IDE) or even 80MB/s (pair of 10K SCSI drives, such as Atlas 10k III).

The closest I could find on IBM site Ultrastar ES DCAS-32160, 34330
    There is a SCSI Hack on the same site that has the OS9.2 enabler for vintage macs that then changes it from looking like OEM to retail (got the link on owc) and thence upgrade the firmware on the card. You ought to talk to the dozens of others who bought the card and are talking about it on the (paid) XPF forum on OWC. XPF Forum
    ATTO UL2D thread

I found something close but not that model on IBM's site. old 4.5GB ES 5400 rpm? or "egg cooker" 7200 rpm drives? You could put two new 18GB Atlas 10K III $97 each which deliver 40-53MB/s each and get some real numbers if you already have the proper LVD cabling and terminators.

The latest firmware is 1.64. There is a link and index to some older firmware (found on XPF forum), and the latest is available from ATTO Support Software Downloads.

[This message has been edited by Gregory (edited 22 November 2002).]

Thanks for the reply Gregory
    I really want to know if I can get this card to work in the 8600 as the info on the OWC site states G3 onward. The ATTO product pdf states any PCI Mac.

The drives are DCAS 3340 68 pin and have been used with an FWB Jackhammer OK.

Should I be posting on SCSI list?

Bernard

Bernard,

?Gregory's point is that those UL2D cards are NOT supported by ATTO. They are only supported by Apple. Anything that ATTO says doesn't apply to the OEM Apple card. We have all had issues with Apple OEM cards from any manufacturer, for many reasons those cards are never supported by the manufacturer, only Apple supports them and Apple seems to have a propensity towards 'leaving stuff behind'.

?I can see the benefit for developers that they don't have to spend time supporting a special product for niche machine, I just wish Apple had stuck with standard retail cards whenever possible.

?You might try the hacks Gregory mentioned or there might be a way to set the delayed start jumpers on the drives. Flashing the roms to 1.6.4 seems the best way.

Rick

OH, and no, you don't have to post in the SCSI forum, we all pretty much keep up with all the forums.

[This message has been edited by ricks (edited 23 November 2002).]

You should be able to use the card "as is" under OS 9.1 without doing more.

But I would still initialize the drives with Drive Setup or SoftRAID, or HDT 4.5.2.

Again, ANY 10K drive is going to leaves those two drives in the dust; and work much better, get you a lot further than anything you can do now, and likely to provide better performance on that card, on your system.

There are some older drives that conflict with SCSI firmware, I know I've seen a note on Adaptec about the Ultrastar 9GB ES model being a problem and a thread on the very matter in MacFixit Forums. I don't know how long they stay before being archived but it is amazing what Google or a search of all the various Mac BBS can yield.

Do you want OWC's help and support? Did you access their XPostFacto Forum where you can find a discussion? The card works for lots of us using vintage macs, such as my 7300, but not for Jaguar or OS X. And it may never work with that set of drives.

Thanks Ricks & Gregory
    I might dump the drives & try something else.

By the way, I did try to upgrade the firmware to 1.6.4 but the report was "no devices were updated" or words to that effect.

I'll report back later.

Thanks again

Bernard

You have to use the SCSI Hack first, then it will allow taking a retail firmware upgrade. And because it is no longer supported etc I think it is useful. At $30 at least one person who screwed theirs and wanted to go BACK to the original firmware, just bought another. (I know for video cards there is sometimes a utility to save the ROM firmware code, but I don't know about scsi controllers). Apparently they had better luck using the card on their vintage system with the original firmware.

I tried to use ATTO UL3S in 7300, works but couldn't install or boot from OS X CD. Someone else had a 29160 that was working. Most Adaptec cards don't work, and some cards (2040U2B) only work in a very few systems (B&W, G4 Yikes, but not in 7300).

The Initio UW2 (is that the same as "Miles2" most refer to?) can, sometimes does, and yet some users had trouble or could only see their drives in OS X or OS 9, but not both. Not consistent.

Hi all, the update..

I pulled the IBM's and installed 2 older but unused 9.1G Cheetahs, UW Foxcon cable/term. Works great, (still with v1.4.3) but in the Sys Profile shows up as being on SCSI Bus 2!! Not on the ATTO - which shows no attached devices. I can assure you the Cheetahs are in fact connected to the ATTO.

I don't relly mind as long as no other problems surface.

Cheers
    Bernard