Thread: Can't make bootable Toast CD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi everyone, I've done lots of searching on the forums and can't seem to find exactly the answer to this. My version of Toast [4.1.2 OEM that came, I believe, with the Plextor CDRW] doesn't have things in the menu bar that have been cited in posts of how to make a bootable CD--specifically, all I have under the "Utilities" menu is "Compare" and "Check Aliases". I can't find anywhere under any circumstances a checkbox labelled "Make Bootable". I tried re-installing the Toast software-thinking maybe there's been some corruption somewhere, but I get exactly the same menu situation with the new install. I've made 2 unsuccessful attempts at writing a bootable CD with O/S 9.2 [what I'm currently running on my beige G3], including using DiskCopy.

I'm interested in creating a bootable CD with HDST, DiskWarrior, and Norton's so that I can give a clean start to my G3 laptop's HD.

Any ideas? Many thanks--MJ

I wish I knew this answer too. perhaps when you find out, you could email the answer to me? nytolastudio@aol.com

i've heard this is possible, but i can't remeber how it is done? i'm using toast 3.5.7.

Ciao

To make a bootable cd you also have to have the invisible files Desktop DB & DF on the cd. These are automatically put in when you copy a bootable disk, but for some reason they can disappear when you add other files to it.
    I'll check it out with Toast 4.1 when I get a chance. I suggest you get the upgrade anyway, it is well worth the money - especially from 3.5!
    One other point is that you must select Mac OS or Mac OS extended if you want to make it bootable, not a hybrid mac/PC version.

I've made bootable CDs on my Mac G3 Bronze Powerbook and my Mac G4 desktop machine. Go here, and follow their instructions. After you create the image file, DOUBLE CLICK it and a new window opens. That new window is the one you burn to the CD.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...00121515095311

check out this (it worked for me!):
    http://www.creativemac.com/HTM/58Sec...otcd-page1.htm

I wanted to make a back up of System and Norton disk and I had to use the Disk copy function in the Format menu to make it bootable. Don't know what to suggest to do to combine other disks into 1 final disk. That was using Toast 4.1.2 aswell.

Good luck

Neal