Thread: G3 B&W missing ADB port

Just purchased a B&W G3/400 off ebay. Machine seems in good shape but it is missing the ADB port. I will obviously take it up with the seller, but need some more information to help with that negotiation.

I'm a bit miffed by its absence since it appears to be something that would be soldered to the motherboard. Considering shipping costs, the seller will probably try to negoiate a USB keyboard deal. I hate to give up my Apple Ajustable keyboard, but would be open to this since that is the only thing I would use the port for.

Aside from not yet having a USB keyboard to completely test the machine out, it appears to work OK. Is there any known problem with the port being completely absent from the motherboard? Thanks for any insight on this.

¬?I have used my ADB port a couple of times to test stuff but all in all I only use USB on my B&W. That said, it sure could screw up a motherboard to have an ADB port ripped off, the port has direct low level access so I'd be especially careful that the machine tests out properly.

Rick

What's the possibility that this motherboard is actually from a G4 Yikes machine? I believe this machine shared the same motherboard but it did not ship with an ADB port.

What would be a good utility to "stress test" the motherboard to give me some assurance that it will be stable? Thanks.

BTW, the seller claims UPS must have opened the box and lifted the ADB port. HAHA! (and left all the components that actually have some resell value!)

¬?Ha, that's a good one! I can hear that conversation with UPS trying to get a claim paid on that one, hooohooho. Sounds like the seller is a real winner.

¬?I am fairly sure that if that is a Yikes board that Apple System Profiler will tell you that it is. Run it and find out. On my B&W the ADB port is built into the board in the upper corner, just the socket and a couple of contacts, most of the circuitry is deeper in on the motherboard. Should be VERY obvious if the ADB socket was removed.

¬?A picture of my B&W motherboard

Rick

There is clearly no socket present. It is not clear whether is was removed or just never there, i.e. Yikes board. There are no hunks of solder that would indicate the socket was there at one time. Below is what Apple system Profiler provides me with. The processor is clearly a G3. But if the Yikes board uses the same ZIF connection, it seems possible that one could still have placed a G3 processor on a Yikes board. ??

Gestalt ID: 406
    Model Name: PowerMac1,2
    Attributes: DVD decoder present

Processor Info: PowerPc G3
    Machine Speed: 400 MHz

ROM Revision: $77D.44B5
    Boot ROM version: 1.2f2
    Mac OS ROM file version: 1.6

I am not sure what is up with the "Model Name". My 9600/350 displays something like "PowerMac 9600 Series". Any clue on this?

A view of this board can be viewed here:
    http://www.cmc.net/~steve_v/images/g3board.jpg

The arrow indicates where the ADB hole in the panel is and where the socket should be on the motherboard.

s,

¬?My particulars for a rev2 B&W are as follows:

ID¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?406
    Name¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?Powermac G3 Series
    Boot Rom¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?1.1f4
    Rom rev¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?¬?$77D.45F6

My Rev2 motherboard picture Here

¬?I frankly don't get it. There should be an ADB port, the motherboard picture you have seems to support that the contact points are on the board but the socket is removed. A Yikes would say Powermac G4 series as the machine name.

¬?Hope it all works out for you.

Rick

Oh, and the sticker on my motherboard says Yosemite and Indonesia on it.

Rick

I assume the sticker being referred to is the one near the battery. My sticker has a serial number, "Indonesia P4 MLB". The motherboard itself is printed with "Apple Computer © 1999" .

I don't get it either, but I think I may have got the seller to agree to an exchange, so hopefully this will be resolved with the next machine.

Steve

A friend of mine purchased a G3/400 which was advertised as a "server" version. It did not have an ADB port but I haven't seen inside. It did have 2 x 9.1G SCSI drives which I think were optional when new. Maybe ADB was also optional

Bernard

I, too, bought a G3 server. It was a G3/450 (I think -- possibly 400). It did not have an ADB port on the back. It came with a USB keyboard and mouse. I sold this machine when we bought our X-Server.

Perhaps what you've got is the G3 server. Personally, I prefer the USB devices but I know many people like the full size extended keyboards. Hope this helps sort out some of the confusion.

Cheers,
    Bruce

Bruce,

Thanks for the info. I assume the back panel still had an open hole for the ADB port since the "server" would have used the same case? Thanks.

Steve

As best I can remember, there wasn't even a hole for the ADB port. There was a hole in the plastic there. But no hole in the metal. I didn't realize until I looked at my B&W G3-300 (not a server) yesterday that the thing even had an ADB port since it came with a USB keyboard and "hockey puck" mouse.

Cheers,
    Bruce