Thread: G4 Panic Starts

Hopefully someone here has an idea what's going with my G4/733 Digital Audio.

I have a G4/733 Digital Audio that I upgraded from a G4/533 by putting a DA G4/733 CPU module in it (along with a QuickSilver heatsink and CPU fan). It has been running fine for a couple of months until last Saturday.

Now every time I start the machine from a cold boot (literally cold boot -- all the innards are room temp) the machine panics on me just after getting the happy mac (still using OS X 10.1.5 on it).

It will do this whether I turn off the power to the PSU when I shut it down or not. I usually have to reset it twice to get it to boot. Once it comes up, it's fine, though. I have absolutely no problems running anything from Medal of Honor to SETI@Home to PhotoShop.

I assume this is heat related but don't have a clue where to start looking. I have taken the CPU back out, cleaned the sockets, reseated everything and made sure it is screwed down properly. I suppose it could be a voltage thing but I don't know.

It has a GeForce4MX video card, 2 512Mb DIMMS (222), 2 Maxtor 40Gb IDE drives, Sony CD-RW (CRX140E), no internal modem, no airport card.

I have run the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with it and it reports no problems. The box is well maintained and absolutely clean on the inside so I doubt it's a dust problem. But any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks,
    Bruce

Have you looked - I'm sure you have - at the cpu upgrades over on www.xlr8yourmac.com about case mods etc like this? ruled out RAM as a problem? very common to find that memory is at fault, and memory test is run only on cold boots. Some people only had kernel panics if running Virtual PC or something.

Rick likes to have people reset nvram and all the OF defaults.

I assume that you've tried going back to the /533 to make sure that setup work?

Yeah, I reset the PMU and swapped the memory with my QS867 which doesn't have any problems. I don't have the 533 anymore. This is the only DA box I've got and none of the other CPUs (sawtooth or QS) will work correctly in it.

The box does the panic no matter what memory I have in it (I first suspected memory to be the problem). Memory test is also done when you hit the reset button (it restarts the cold boot cycle).

I can turn off the power and wait a few minutes then start the machine back up once it has been running for a while (all warmed up) and it never panics. It ONLY does it when the box is cold.

I've seen a problem like this once before on an old PC-XT that needed to have its memory chips reseated. I don't see any components anywhere that are socketed except the memory DIMM and the CPU, though. A friend suggested putting a shot of tuner cleaner on the CPU socket to make sure its absolutely clean. I haven't had any of that in years.

I know there is a keyboard combo to hit to clear something else but can't remember what it is.

I've been considering going to the PowerLogix 1Ghz133 upgrade. But if there is something other than the CPU wrong with the machine, I don't want to be throwing my money away on a CPU upgrade for a broken machine.

Thanks, Gregory.

Bruce

The open firmware dance goes like this:

command option O F
    reset-nvram
    set-defaults
    reset-all

thermal paste? voltage? I'm sure one of the 'electron etching gurus' on xlr8 will have some ideas.

Ah, you mentioned thermal paste. This stuff doesn't "relax" until it gets warm. I wonder if I've got a little bit of it between two parts that makes contact between the two until it "wilts" a little. Of course, that begs the question, how does it "unwilt" when it cools off.

Anyway, I think I'll take the CPU off and give a thorough cleaning with solvent then alcohol. Apply a tiny bit of arctic silver and see how that helps.

I'll still try the open firmware dance just in case, first. I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

Thanks,
    Bruce

Ah, you mentioned thermal paste. This stuff doesn't "relax" until it gets warm. I wonder if I've got a little bit of it between two parts that makes contact between the two until it "wilts" a little. Of course, that begs the question, how does it "unwilt" when it cools off.

Anyway, I think I'll take the CPU off and give a thorough cleaning with solvent then alcohol. Apply a tiny bit of arctic silver and see how that helps.

I'll still try the open firmware dance just in case, first. I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

Thanks,
    Bruce

Hmm, I always wondered how people got double posted. I didn't do anything except press the submit now button once. Odd.

[This message has been edited by rogerwilco99 (edited 11 November 2002).]

Yeah, I reset the PMU and swapped the memory with my QS867 which doesn't have any problems. I don't have the 533 anymore. This is the only DA box I've got and none of the other CPUs (sawtooth or QS) will work correctly in it.

The box does the panic no matter what memory I have in it (I first suspected memory to be the problem). Memory test is also done when you hit the reset button (it restarts the cold boot cycle).

I can turn off the power and wait a few minutes then start the machine back up once it has been running for a while (all warmed up) and it never panics. It ONLY does it when the box is cold.

I've seen a problem like this once before on an old PC-XT that needed to have its memory chips reseated. I don't see any components anywhere that are socketed except the memory DIMM and the CPU, though. A friend suggested putting a shot of tuner cleaner on the CPU socket to make sure its absolutely clean. I haven't had any of that in years.

I know there is a keyboard combo to hit to clear something else but can't remember what it is.

I've been considering going to the PowerLogix 1Ghz133 upgrade. But if there is something other than the CPU wrong with the machine, I don't want to be throwing my money away on a CPU upgrade for a broken machine.

Thanks, Gregory.

Bruce

This has gotten weird. A posting posted twice _after_ other posts...

Anyway, tried the open-firmware dance. No joy.

Also tried (on a hunch) swapping the GeForce4MX out for a Radeon 9000. That didn't do it either.

I'm stuck here. The box works (after multiple cold starts and resets). But having to reset it a couple of times to get it to boot is getting a bit old. I suppose I could just leave it up. But this puppy gets pretty hot inside (about 60c) and I'm worried I might seriously shorten the life of something inside the box by leaving it on.

I haven't explored sleep mode (don't like sleep mode -- too many potential problems with peripherals, etc.).

Thanks,
    Bruce

Booted up this machine yesterday (haven't started it since Wednesday) and it came right up. No resets required. I noticed that I had left the power on to the machine. I'm more confused than ever about this, now. But if the problem goes away and stays away, I'll be happy. I'll still have that nagging worry every time I start up the machine, "will it panic on me?"

Some insights into what might be happening are quite welcome.

Cheers,
    Bruce