Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A screw source?

The plot thickens...

While putting my PM9500 back together, I found that the screw in the back of the logic board that holds the logic board to the frame inside the case is the same threads as the screws I'm looking for. So Apple has used these screws for at least 7 years.

I guess (unlike me) most people just don't lose Mac screws (you don't dare... ).

Another reason not to get rid of old Macs: parts!

Recycle that stuff!

back when i subscribed to the old White Pages (Apple parts book with pricing and part numbers), there was usually a screw set available for purchase for most machines.

a genuine Apple Service dealer should have them, or at least be able to order one for you.

now, AppleCare has dramatically changed in the recent years, mostly it is now on the web, I believe. Any genuine Apple Service center should be able to jump on the secure Apple service website and look up part numbers for screw sets. Keep in mind that access to these sites is strictly password controlled, and logged, and only authorized service personnel can gain access. I had access to early versions of the service pages a few years ago, but haven't messed around with formal parts sources in a long time.

one other venue for basic parts might be Sun or PreOwned, joints like that. Sometimes, you get the impression that they just order from Apple service, then resell to end users, though that is supposed to be a violation of Apple policy. What do I know.

i used to have an account at another parts source....I'd have to ask Debarooni about it. She remembers everything.

Hmmm, now that you mentioned it I remember where I've seen a metric screw size for Macs. Sun Remarketing (when I was looking for a power actuator for my PM9500) lists a screw set that is 10 screws M3.5x.6x10. I'm pretty sure that the 6mm and 8mm lengths are what I need. Now if I can just find a source for these screws. Of course 4mm would also be necessary and they need to be external tooth SEMS screws (pan head philips).

I found a place that sells the M3.5x.6 allen head cap screws. It's a hobby supply website of all places. These are the screws that go in the back of the G3/G4 to fasten the power supply down.

Thanks for jogging my memory Magician! I just ordered some of those cap screws. If they fit, I'll post the URL for them here.

/me goes back to screw search...

Cheers all,
    Bruce

[This message has been edited by rogerwilco99 (edited 19 September 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>originally posted by magician
    Sometimes, you get the impression that they just order from Apple service, then resell to end users, though that is supposed to be a violation of Apple policy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps we should change the thread title to "Getting screws by Apple"

[This message has been edited by M.Brane (edited 19 September 2002).]

Success at last. The cap screws I ordered came in today. I tried them in the power supply (and a couple of other places) for fit and they work great.

The size is M3.5 X .6. The length I got is 12mm which is the right size for the three (or four if you've got a B&W G3 or Yikes) power supply cap screws. The place I got them is a hobby supply store. These are black alloy and look better than the grey colored ones that Apple ships the boxes with.

The company that sells these is MicroFasteners in the Metric Screws nut and washers section. Unfortunately they don't sell the correct size in panhead philips screws. 20 screws is less than $4.

I found another vendor (www.nutty.com) for the "normal" screws and ordered about 300 of them (for about $12) in varying sizes. 200 in M3.5 X .6 X 6mm and 100 in M3.5 X .6 X 8mm. I received an email that they were back ordered until the 27th but at least I know what I'm looking for now and I know where I can get them.

The really short ones (4mm) for the processor mounts I haven't been able to find. Nor have I been able to find any of them as SEMS screws (with the outer tooth locking washers) that Apple seems so fond of.

Altogether, both orders for screws was less than $25. And I think I'll be set practically for life with that many screws ).

Anyway, thanks to all for your suggestions and ideas. Diligence (or as my wife would say, stubbornness) does pay off.

Cheers all,
    Bruce

I like happy endings.

One more bit of info. The cap screws I ordered were 12mm in length. 10mm would be better, I think. These screws are a good bit longer than the Apple supplied screws.

I think the Apple screws are 8mm in length (but I could be wrong). So a middle length of about 10mm should be about right. I think the Apple screws are too short. They barely bite before they get tight.

Cheers all,
    Bruce

I got the other screws from nutty.com last week. The 6mm and 8mm sizes look about right although the 8mm screws are a bit long (about 1/3 inch). I'm still looking for someplace that sells these lengths (and the 4mm) was SEMS screws.

But I've got about 300 screws now. I'm set for life...

Cheers all,
    Bruce

Often when working on my numerous project vehicles I'll need a length that I just can't find. If you thread a nut onto the screw then cut it off nice and straight and file the end lightly at a slight angle you can make custom lengths. When you remove the nut it will restore the threads.

Ooooh, he said PROJECT VEHICLES!!!

What are they!?!?!? Tell, tell...

I only have one. A 1969 Impala SS Coupe 396., 12 bolt rear, 3.23 gear, and a turbo 400 tranny. She's real purty (cobalt blue with black interior, low back buckets, console, etc.) Nearly completely restored except for the carpet, radio and the spare tire.

I know it's off topic but this car is like one of my kids. (well, almost)

Cheers,
    Bruce

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Ooooh, he said PROJECT VEHICLES!!!

What are they!?!?!? Tell, tell...

I only have one. A 1969 Impala SS Coupe 396., 12 bolt rear, 3.23 gear, and a turbo 400 tranny. She's
    real purty (cobalt blue with black interior, low back buckets, console, etc.) Nearly completely restored
    except for the carpet, radio and the spare tire.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That looks pretty sweet. For a Chevy. J/K

I've got three at the moment.

#1: '62 Ranchero 200i-6 3 on the tree. My grandfather bought it brand new and put 20K on it in 10 years. Then my father drove it to work for the next 10 and waxed it once. It was my only ride back when I was a semi-pro musician. Still running but has a bad case of VTI (visual treadwear indicators). Plans are for a complete re-do with hi-po Mustang guts.

#2: '64 Falcon Futura Tudor 260 V-8 2-speed Fordomatic. Car is 90% original, solid and a driver. Needs lots of body work (mostly dents, a little rust). This will probably be my driver after I sell my '94 F150 (need to lower my overhead so I can buy more gear ) unless I can find someone to trade me for a pre-smog Ford truck.

#3 '87 Kawasaki Ninja 600R. Traded an old Mazda pickup for the bike (half apart) and some cash (enough to put it back together). Don't see many of these anymore as most have either been crashed or worn out. That's the other reason I'm selling my '94 F150. I want a brand new bike! Then I can sell this one or trade it for dirt bike.

Ah, toys!

That Ranchero sounds pretty cool. You could probably make a pretty nice sleeper out of it.

Yeah, I have a bike, too. Haven't ridden it in about 3 years. It's a 1976 Kawasaki a903 LTD. I've had it since it was new. It has about 6900 miles on it and is in immaculate condition.

It lives in my parents barn on a concrete pad and under a cotton/canvas cover. It's black and red. My wife really gets stressed when I ride it (even out in the country where my parents live) and won't ride it with me. I'm not crazy enough to ride it here in metro Atlanta.

I've considered giving the bike to my son who lives in Brunswick (GA). He loves it. But it's a piece of my youth and I'm rather reticent to part with it.

Cheers,
    Bruce

Does it look like this one?

That's a very cool bike. Kawi's have always been the Japanese hot rod. Shame you can't ride it more.

Yep, it looks almost exactly like that. Mine doesn't have the "sissy" bar on the back but other than that it's a dead ringer.

Cheers,
    Bruce