Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A screw source?

Does anyone know where I can get some #6-40 screws to replace the two I lost from the PCI slots on my G4? I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find any.

Thanks to any and all for ideas.

I found that Ace Hardware has various sizes of steel machine screws with round combo heads (straight slot and phillips) which can be purchased for the number you want or in bulk boxes of 100. For drives I bought a bulk box of No.6-32 x 1/4". k

Thanks for the info. Ace Hardware has a lot of good stuff.

I've got #6-32 screws (drive screws) coming out my ears practically. But Apple uses #6-40 (fine thread) screws on nearly everything inside the G4 towers. The PCI card slot screws, logic board screws, processor module screws and many others inside the machine are #6-40's.

I have lost two of my PCI slot screws and can't find any of these screws anywhere and I need to replace those screws. If anyone knows where I can get them, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Bruce

I needed a couple oddball crews and I found that when I went to my local AppleCare service location and asked where they thought I could find them...they went and gave me a few! Just a thought, but you might try going straight to the source. Stranger things have happened. Otherwise, I have had better luck at the small, local harware stores around here when it comes to odds-n-ends. TrueValue and Ace really only like to stock what sells a lot. The small guy tends to have a more eclectic, devoted crowd. I might be reading too deeply into sales trends....nevermind.

Try Apple. Then look at a local HW store. That's my 2 cents.

Thanks, I'll try that. There's an Apple service center a few stops on Marta (Atlanta mass transit system) up from where I work. I'll head up there at lunch time one day and see if they have any.

Thanks,
    Bruce

You might also try looking in your local yellow pages for a fastener supply house.

Thanks for the tips all.

That said, this is getting ridiculous. I went up to the Apple store at Lenox Square Mall here in Atlanta and asked about getting some replacement screws. The dork I talked to tried to tell me that Apple only uses "standard" screws that all the other computer manufacturers use and that I could get them anywhere. I told him he was/is full of it and pulled two screws out of my pocket. One out of one of my G4 QS PCI slots and another from my Dell P4 PCI slot. I asked him if they were the same. He admitted they weren't. Then he had the temerity to tell me that I must have some really old machine or something. (neither screw is more than 9 months old)

So, I went back to my office and called 1-800-MY-APPLE (again). The people there told me that Apple does not sell screw kits for the G4's (any of them) because they are available elsewhere. What gives? Apple uses screws that nobody else does then refuses to even acknowledge that they use something it seems no one else does?

I went by CompUSA on my way home and they let me scrounge through their extra screw bin (nice folks!). I found three screws that were the right size (out of about 300). One was way too long but the other two will work.

Somebody MUST have had to acquire screws for a G4 tower before. I can't believe I'm the only person that has ever lost any. Or do people just force #6-32 screws into the holes?

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope...

A lot of mod places have thumbscrews of the right TP and size for all those PC folks...like here. I'll see what more I can find for us Apple folks.

[This message has been edited by Dogstarman (edited 09 September 2002).]

Interesting.......

I did some searching on a few fastener supply sites and came up with nothing on #6-40 screws.

Could they be metric?

Bruce

I don't mean to laugh but have too. I have been following your posts and really had nothing more to offer. The others had great advice.

This situation is ridiculous. And the Apple store - what a joke. Maybe I am lucky living in rural Montana -- I don't have an Apple dealer within hours of driving. Everything is phone and mail order.

Good luck to ya
    Randy

Huh. Interesting. With most of their assembly happening in the far corners of the world, it is quite possible. I know Dell (shudder...how do I know this?) uses M2.5 x 5 mm screws to secure most everything inside their nasty boxes of garbage. Including PCI fence screws. But they are more comparable to #4 screws. M3 screws are almost exactly the same size as #6.

I will keep searching.

Here is some M3 info.

[This message has been edited by Dogstarman (edited 10 September 2002).]

This place has a multimedia PC port setup that occupies a PCI fence slot and euse M3 screws to secure it there....hmmmm.......

OK. This concludes my daily installment of screw research.

Keep me posted as to what you find out.

Hey Dogstarman, thanks.

I had not considered that they might be metric. But how do the thread standards work for metric screws? I know they have a pitch but how do you specify what the pitch is? In the National Standard (right name?) they go by the number of threads in an inch (i.e. 32 pitch is 32 threads per inch).

I know very little about metric screws and wouldn't know how to go about figuring out what these are if they are metric. Still, I think it's ridiculous that Apple should put owners through this much grief just to replace a couple of lost screws (well 5).

Hey Randy,
    Yeah, I recounted what happened yesterday at the Apple store to a couple of people I work with. Both of them had the response, "Why would you buy anything from people like that?". It gave me a chance to evangelize Macs a little. (We're a Windoze shop... ) Out of about 70 people on my floor, there are only 2 Mac owners. The other guy has never even opened the case on his B&W G3 and still run MacOS 8.6 on it. Sigh...

Cheers all,
    Bruce

Well, Dogstarman must be clairevoyant. He pointed me to an auction while I was still looking at it... :eek

Unfortunately, all the screws listed in the auction are what's filling up my screw bins (I have several thousand screws of all descriptions, except what I need -- been in the business for a while).

I'm going to start looking at metric screws to see what shakes out. I may also call Apple and bother them again. Fortunately the repair manager at CompUSA gave me her business card and said their Mac tech would be in tomorrow and Friday (was on an on-site when I went by Monday) and that he might be able to help me (maybe some secret "Mac" screw stash ) I'm off this Friday so I'll drop in and see what he might have.

I'm beginning to find the whole thing funny myself. Even if it is frustrating. At least I'm meeting some new people.

Thanks all,
    Bruce

Rog,

There are 100 M3 crews in the auction, too. If anything, that would be your metric size. The M2.5's might gently screw in, but would not hold any torque.

This page should explain your thread pitch question better than I can.

This one might actually break it down easier.

Yeah, I've got a bunch of screws for floppies and cd-rom drives. They are pretty much equivalent to the #4-40 English screws. The Apple screws are MUCH bigger. The same size as a #6 screw. Might be 3.5 or 4mm. I don't have mike to put on the screw to tell. The screw fits perfectly in the #6 screw sizing hole (for screw identification) at my local Home Depot.

I even went so far as to measure exactly 1/4" (or as near as I could tell) of the screw shaft then count the threads (I had to use a magnifying glass). It came out to 10. So, it looks like they are #6-40 screws. Of course, I can't see worth a crap anymore (that's why I lose screws when I drop them...).

I used to work in a shop where we stripped old computers (IBM mainframes, minis, RS/6000's, PC's, Dell's, Compaq's, Packard Bells, HP PC's, Gateways, Unisys, Pyramids, Tandems, Vax's, PDP-7's, PDP-11's, you name it -- no Apple's though) prior to sending the unsalvagable parts to the local landfill or out as scrap metal. I have literally thousands of various screws from hundreds of different computers. I'm amazed I don't have screws to fit these Macs.

Well, something will turn up eventually.

Thanks for your help Dogstarman (Sirius?) and others.

Cheers all,
    Bruce

I found some M4 CAP screws at HomeDepot. They are a little too big. They appear to be about the same size as a Nation #8. So M3.5 is probably about the right size. I think the .7 metric thread might work. Now I'm looking for M3.5x.7 screws. If I find a place that sells several metric sizes, I might just shotgun several sizes and try them all. Something just has to fit.

Cheers,
    Bruce

Sheesh!!!!!

Once you find the right screw, you should set up a site and just sell the screws.

Who would have though it would be this much hassle?

It might be easier getting some round stock and tapping your own screws (well, die-ing, actually) !!!! I checked, and I have metric taps & dies in those sizes. Weird stuff.

Hey, that idea doesn't suck. magician, you might want to consider stocking these screws when we go live again.

Batsignal invoked to magician!