Thread: damaged resource forks

Hi, I have a 100 gig maxtor with just huge quicktime files in it. I recently moved, took them carry-on on a plane and in my new destination some of the quicktime files don't open, says resource forks are damaged.

Any ideas on how to salvage them. Thanks in advance.

The same old song and dance, try backing up first so you don't lose your files, run Apple Disk First Aid, then Disk Warrior, follow up with MINOR REPAIRS using Norton Disk Doctor 6.03 or TechTool Pro 3.0x.

If you have a copy of ResEdit, drop the file on it or open it using the Verify File menu option. But... I'd assume the worst. Was the drive in a FireWire case, padded case? zapped by aliens? Are the two systems basically identical in OS and hardware?

Gregory

Yes, I thought about backing them up but the only way would've been a dvd burner, something with which i didn't have, because these files are anywhere from 600mb to 1.5 gig in size.

I failed to say in my first post that I did run the following:

disk first aid : "unable to read from disk"

diskwarrior : stalls with no status bar progress for ages

norton : quits and says a disk error prevented it from continuing

techtool doesn't find any problems with it.

the disk mounts, some files are fine, others don't respond at all, and I travelled with them in their original packaging with the static bag and everything.

short of going to drive savers with which i did for one of my hd's that had damage to it (I paid $1700) before travelling, I want to figure this out. THanks ahead of time.

?I wonder if it's possible that Techtool will do a bit by bit recovery even if it says that nothing is wrong. I have had Techtool rescue me with a total directory loss, be nice if it would save your data.

?I wouldn't even use the word 'Norton'.

?Sometimes DW will take HOURS and hours to fix an index. Usually it is NOT crashed, it just takes a very long time to recreate lost index points on a large drive.

Good Luck.
    Rick

okay, I will try that. I'll keep u posted.

I would like to take this opportunity to sing the praises of this forum and macgurus in general. THey have the best forum - quickest most informative responses re: mac on the net period and their products are very good, I buy here whenever possible, also, tech support is the best.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ricks
    Sometimes DW will take HOURS and hours to fix an index. Usually it is NOT crashed, it just takes a very long time to recreate lost index points on a large drive.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TechTool can take a long time too when it's working on my audio drive. Sometimes it seems like it's stalled but I just leave it alone and it eventually finishes. My audio files are usually 20-50MB and it usually takes it at least an hour to optimize 4-5GB worth. Those large video files would probably take overnight at least.

Hey, thanks for the praise, johnta. We appreciate your attention, and we swear we're going to start selling hardware again in the not-so-distant future.

Good luck on the drive recovery.

-mtr

damn, no luck with techtool, data rescue, norton, drive setup, diskwarrior... ho hum