Thread: PB 3500 Screen is Dim

Hello,

I have a PowerBook 3500 (the original PowerBook G3/Kanga). The screen seems to be a bit dim. It works fine, but it just is not so bright. (It used to be brighter). Naturally, the brightness level is full and I've tried changing settings with ColorSync; this doesn't help. Does this mean that the screen is failing? Do I need a new screen or connecting ribbon or other part?

tachyon Guest

shouldnt this post be on the powerbook forum?

You need a new 922-2468 Inverter board, in all likelihood. But yes it could be the cable, you never know with the older machines.

They're annoying to replace.

PS It's not called a 3500. It's just called Powerbook G3/250.

[This message has been edited by tachyon (edited 02 August 2002).]

Tachyon,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure where to post this (I'll also re-post in the PowerBook forum). Recently I was able to get a PowerBook 3400 screen for cheap. The problem with that screen is that is has two white vertical lines down the middle. I was hoping that between the two screens I would be able to create one working one. I've opened the PowerBook 3400 screen and noticed that there are basically two parts¬óthe display part and the "electronics" in the back. (Please excuse my lack of referring to them by their proper technical names¬óI'm not a technician, just an aggressive tinkerer. This is my first screen that I've taken apart). Were do I go from here? Which parts should I replace in which monitor? What other things should I be aware of?

Thank you very much.

tachyon Guest

It would appear that your 'screen' is OK but the inverter board (or 'electronics') is faulty. You need to dismantle the one with correct brightness but 2 white lines, unplug the appropriate cables and remove the part. Put everything else aside. Then take apart your dim screen and swap the inverter board for the working one. It's my least favorite part to swap on those models. Just be sure to test it without putting the case all back together.

Tachyon,

Success! (with a little further probing). First I tried swapping the inverter board as suggested. That didn't work. Then I tried swapping the orange cable (is there a name for that cable). That didn't work either. I continued to take the screen with the lines apart and saw that there was something labeled as a florescent light. Being that my screen was working, just that it was dim, I figured that I would try that next. That worked. I guess the light blew on my screen, so replacing it did the job. Thanks for your help.

I have a couple more questions: Now that I have the second screen taken apart, I figure that I might as well try to fix that one. First, I'll need to get a new florescent light. Where would I get one? Also, what is causing the white vertical lines?

Are there any books, manuals, or web sites that get into the nitty gritty of fixing hardware problems (not just screens, but all hardware, but specifically Mac hardware.)

This has certainly been my most adventurous tinkering. Thanks for the help.

Michael