Thread: sound control panel update??

I have recently acquired an iMac 333 and it was running OS 9.1 so I figured it's a G3 lets get it right bang up to date and install 9.2.2, which I did.
    To cut a long story short I went to adjust the sound control panel the other day, the message I got was this:-

The application "Sound" has unexpectedly quit, because an update to this software is required for compatibility with the improved Mac OS file system.

You should save work and restart etc...

_____

Not what I was expecting. I have looked at the apple updates site (nothing new about sound control panel) and run software update, but the message still appears. Sound control panel version is 8.5.6

Any ideas or thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Neal

I have the same version Sound CP in OS9.2.2. How about the extension Sound Manager which is version 3.7? Got that? k

kaye

yes i've got sound manager extension but it's 3.6.7 as part of quicktime 5.0.2,
    do I need to upgrade this?

Neal

Also I was just demonstrating what happens to the Sound CP and saying "this is what it's supposed to look like" and clicked on to the Internet CP and blow me but it does the same. But (and there's always a but) only if I click on the e-mail tab. This is getting stranger. I'm now going to try every control panel I've got activated and see what works and what doesn't.

No. It's just those two control panels that are playing up as far as I can tell.

Lot of possibilities, but it seems like perhaps a prefs file corruption, such as Sound Preferences, or it could be a conflict with control panels or extensions. Anyway, try trashing the Sound Preferences file and reboot. k

Kaye

Trashed the sound prefs but to no avail, there was an extension called 'Voxware Sound Component v1.5' I've disabled it but can reinstate if you think I should.

Is it worth re installing Quicktime in case the sound manager is dodgy. Also there are a couple of items in the extensions folder called 'SoundSprocketLib' and 'SoundSprocket Filter' that are for gaming and the like do I really need these?

The control strip does still allow me to alter the volume and choose the source of input but won't open the control panel. Obviously I could go through each extension enalbing and disabling and see if it has an effect or if there is a conflict but to be honest I haven't got a spare month. I just wondered if this was a common problem but if its just a bit of plain corrupt data I'll live with it. *shrugs shoulders and shakes head* thanks for your continued support and advice and If anyone else has a suggestion feel free to post a reply.

Cheers

Neal

Voxware Sound Component v1.5, I've seen this and I have it enabled. It is for playing Voxware compressed audio, does not seem to be an issue on my box.

SoundSprocketLib and SoundSprocket Filter:
    Yes for games but also for other multimedia applications according to Apple.

Your original QuickTime, if a download, may be corrupt. I would try QT 6 (free) or just live with it. k

QT 6 is only free til October then stops working. Is it worth the hassle? Is it a lot better than 5?

sorry not supposed to have repeated myself there.

Well if QT 6 quits in October, then I would stick with 5. Only thing special about QT6 is it does MPEG-4 and, if you purchased an addition, does MPEG-2. k