Thread: dual 1ghz freezes in diablo II

Hello all,

My problem is this, everytime I try to play the carbonized version of Diablo II LOD the machine locks up within ten minutes at the most. Cannot force quit or anything else. The only way to recover is to turn the computer off then back on. The game seems to play fine in OS9. I've tried a fresh brand new install with all the appropriate patches from blizzard's web site.

List of install - Full diablo II off disc -> diablo II v.1.09d patch -> LOD install from disc -> LOD v1.09d patch -> LOD OSX Carbon patch.

If I boot into OS9 on separate volume all seems to be well.

Machine:
    Dual 1Ghz, 512 MB ram, Geforce4 Ti

My other carbon games seem to be ok. Sim's Hot Date, Aliens vs Predator. The only thing I haven't tried is turning OpenGL off and using software rendering. I'll try that next.

any input appreciated

kj

got my answer,

turns out there is a problem with the opengl drivers in X. blizzard seems to think it relies on apple and that they are aware of it. you must run in software mode in X.

later
    kj

Hey kjay,

?Won't it be nice when hardware rendering is the rule and not the exception? Hopefully 10.2 will fix these things for us.

Rick

Interesting kj. And how, in X, do you set to run Diablo II LOD in software mode? Via a pref in Diablo, I suppose?

I have been running X-Plane 6+ which requires OpenGL on my G4-800DP with GF3. It has separate apps for OS9 and X. In X I did a little experimentation by running the utility CPU Monitor.app which puts up a floating window that shows the dual (or single) processor load in thermometer bars. I also had a floating X-Plane window that shows FPS. Then I ran a 747-400 which has a lot of eye candy such as a moving map inside and all of the external eye candy outside to fully tax both CPU/s and OpenGL/GF3.

The results of my by no means thorough nor scientific tests were that in OS9 with single processor and mature OpenGL and GF3 drivers, the game runs about the same as in X with dual processors (very high and pretty much even thermometer bars) and not ready for prime time OpenGL/GF3 (at least not as mature as in OS9). I think Apple has more work to do in that area of X. But I still don't have a clue about X. Fortunately it just runs. k

yea,

kind of a bummer, shootin for fewer boots into 9... but with a bunch of legacy games i still like seems unlikely. as for DiabloII, there is a pref panel that shows up at start and allows you to set video hardware. unfortunately software mode only gets you 256 colors, oooff!

one game i can't get enough of is ComancheMac - circa '95. a comanche helicopter flight game. graphics are totally old school but very addictive game play. runs very reliably in 9. I think i bought it when i had a Centris650 - i remember it completely choking that machine. works awesome with an ishockII, don't have to touch the keyboard once.

on a side note i just downloaded itunes3 and noticed that the "Visualizer" now has a openGL option. with the Ti it records 75-85 fps now.

later
    kj

?I loved Commanche Mac, still have it. Even the funky snow fall screens were fun. I played it on a Quadra 900, need to see if it will fire up OK on my B&W or QS.

?AH, the memories, makes me feel old that I 'remember' having fun.

Rick