Thread: finder unexpectedly quits...

hello all,

my trusty old PTP is not being so trusty. i'm donating this ol' boy to my buddies' mom so she can retire her MacClassic. the problem is this - i am constantly getting "finder unexpectedly quit, please restart" or the machine just plain locks up (usually get finder quit). all this happens randomly. i could be moving around the desktop or testing apps or installing apps. doesn't matter.

PTP is back to stock. config is as follows;

PTP 225 604e w/1MB cache (formerly was xlr8 G3/466)
    96MB stock ram, 256MB guru ram
    fresh OS9.1 with latest updates, a few basic apps
    single quantum atlasIV 9GB on stock bus w/stock cable. using 68-50 pin adapter which i used before
    TwinTurbo tt128m8 video card using latest driver from guru ftp (formerly a Radeon)
    usb card

cleaned case real good of dustbunnies, etc. made sure everything seated good. will retry tonight. held cuda reset for 30sec a bazillion times. only thing goofy was when i was setting up the drive (off a cheetah) before gutting the machine, startup disk CP kept crashing on me. when i finally was able to startup using the quantum the TT board wouldn't kick on the monitor. i reinstalled the drivers and now it works flawlessly.

after trying to reseat everything should i maybe do a fresh OS install again? this is very annoying as i've used this machine since buying it new and it has never been this buggy without my direct intervention.

any help appreciated

kj

kj,

When did you last initialize? with the clean install? using what driver? Did you LLF? might need it.

Take a look at the System file using ResEdit and Verify that the file doesn't need minor repairs.

I would start with Disk Warrior, then Norton 6.03. Remove the system preference folder, in case you took your clean install and restored old prefs. Maybe it just misses the good old xlr8 and radeon and is having a fit??? It does sound like hardware, somewhere, from bad cable pin or terminator on the scsi chain to just plain voodoo. No chance VM was enabled? Some control strip modules needed a lot extra memory.

Dust under a DIMM, cat hair, weak battery, worn out cuda button... I'm reaching. Wish I had a copy of Sad Macs handy on this one.

Gregory

Gregory,

thanks for the reply. the OS was installed on a freshly initialized drive. the battery was replaced maybe 6 months ago. the TT is using the TwinTurbo software downloaded from gurus' ftp. the dimms were never touched. pulled G3, replace with 604e/cache. Even with the radeon in i still had the TT in slot 6 when i was using it, just no monitor hooked up. after i was done installing most of the software i did run DW a couple of times. as far as term, HD is drive 0, no term, the cd is #3 with the term pin on.

later i'll pull all the cables and re-air everything, hopefully that is it. i'll also run the suite of tests as well.

kj

Your CD is last item, right? not in the middle, 'cause term needs to be at the ends.

kj,

?I've never been around PTP's much so....

?Are you sure that the hard drive is before the CD on the data cable? If it is possible you might consider switching them so that the hard drive is doing the termination of that circuit. Some older CD-Roms did not have good termination circuitry. In fact some CD-Roms needed jumpers to DISABLE termination. Weird.

?You can almost always look at your adapter as being a possible culprit in a scsi chain. Weird things will happen and that's where voodoo gets its name. A quality terminate-able adapter may be worth the few bucks cost to make sure. Even better a narrow drive would give instant termination gratification. I don't know what it is about adapters but I can testify to the substantial problems that can come of them.

?You might try a ram check. The Gurus ftp site has in the xlr8 folder both Power Control and Power Frax. Run Control overnight with Frax running in background and make sure you didn't lose a chip. Turn off all energy savers, Power Control will puke on them.

Rick

sometimes seems the most difficult problems have the simplest solutions. appears on the quantum HD there is a jumper that forces narrow operation. had totally spaced it off when i initially set up the machine. when i went back through cleaning and just double checking everything i noticed it. seems to be quite stable now.

funny thing is, is that in it's stock config it doesn't seem all that slow. ofcourse i really haven't done much other that move around checking stability.

thanks for all the input.

kj