Thread: 8500 woes, which OS?

Ok, I aquired an 8500 with three cpu cards along with it. The one installed in the 8500 when I got it is a Newertech G3/250, the other is a Vimage G3/300 and the third seems to be the original 604 processor. My problem is that the mac has had its OS removed and the drive wiped clean before I got it. I don't seem to have an OS that will boot on it, and I'm not sure which OS to try using. Also, i'm afraid I may be having some hardware issues as well.

First time i booted up I tried to boot to an OS 7.5 network access floppy, and got this message: "This startup disk will not work on this Macintosh model. Please use the latest Installer to update this disk for this model." Curses.

Since the newertechs need special software, I had the idea to remove that processor, and get the stock processor in for now, until I can get an OS installed, I removed the newertech card, pressed the little reset button next to the cpu card slot and installed the 604 processor. Then I booted it up, zapped the pram at boot, and tried to get it to boot to an OS 7.5 'network access' disk. I get the same message, "This startup disk will not work on this Macintosh model. Please use the latest Installer to update this disk for this model."

Tried again with my OS 9.2.1 CD (which I didn't expect would work, it technically requires native G3s, right?), and got the same message. One thing I don't have is an OS 8 or 8.5 cd, is this something I should try to get? Or do you think there is another problem with my inability to boot? The mac was working when it was with its previous owner, so there is nothing I know for sure is broken on it..

Any ideas you can offer would be much appreciated! Thanks,

phidauex

I installed 9.0.4 on my 8500 with the stock 120mhz 604. No problems. I have since added an XLR8 G3 400 and updated to 9.1 with no problems. 9.1 seems to be the best OS for beige PowerMacs.

?You are absolutely right that 9.2 will not easily work in a pre-G3. You will want to end up with 9.1 as the very best pre-OSX Operating system. I believe that if you call Apple at 1-800-MY-APPLE you can still purchase 9.1 from them. YOu have to call and talk to a real person, weird, but Apple is still learning how to market on the web I guess.

?I have also seen several different resellers that carried 9.1 installers over the last year, should be lots of them still around.

?You should not have to worry about the cache software for the G3, it will act like a 604 while the cache software isn't in place. Get it running then you can download and install the Newer software.

?You can also use Remple's XPostFacto to install OSX. I have run my 8500 for long periods on 10.1.4 without problems. I went back to 9.1 because I didn't own a graphics card that OSX supported in the 8500. I hope to resolve that when I get my Nexus back.

Best of luck to you.
    Rick

Thanks for the input guys, I'll try to find an OS 9.1 or 9.0.4 CD, and give that a whirl. And if the G3 will properly emulate a 604 until the software is installed, then i'll probably just say 'screw you' to the original processor, and put the newertech back in (or maybe that vimage, at 300mhz).

I'll post back when i get a copy of the OS and try again!

peace,
    phidauex