Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: jackhammer termination woes

Karen,

I went back and reread this whole topic again and realized that we are basing this whole termination issue on SCSIProbe. What version of SCSIProbe are you using? My SCSIProbe 5.1.2 does not even list termination, or are you getting some kind of warning window when you launch SCSIProbe?

I think all of the drive jumper settings are now correct. The JackHammer termination is correct. You say that the array icon appears on the desktop and works per usual. Have you tried to do high speed capture? Perhaps SCSIProbe is not correct. Can you email me a screenshot of what SCSIProbe says? And what version is reporting this? k

I just downloaded and tried SCSIProbe 5.2 and still don't see any termination column. Or are you getting the warning in the Mounting Log? k

Hi Kaye- The SCSI probe that reports a termination problem is 3. something. Yes, SCSI probe 5.1.2 doesn't mention any termination status. Also when I use SCSI Director none of the drives appear as mountable. I'd be happy to send you screen shots. E-mail me (kmerwick@tribune.com)

Thanks-
    Karen

The thing is, SCSI Probe 3.0 was written for an older version of SCSI Manager and may be incorrectly reporting a termination problem. If you're running Mac OS 8.1 or newer and things seem to be stable, I would disregard the error in SCSI Probe.

Karen sent me screenshots of SCSIProbe 3.5sq (an old SyQuest version) and 5.2 (Adaptec version). She is, I think, running OS9.0. Yes 3.5sq does not recognize many items and I told her to stick with 5.2 and that everything seems fine with that. All that remains, I think, is for her to actually do some high speed capture and see how the array performs. k

Hi folks- Thought I'd give you an update. I was able to get a used jackhammer card on ebay. Well, swapping that with mine did absolutely no good. I then tried switching to a different SCSI cable...still no good. *bummer* Could it be the SCSI controller? Software??

What else can I check?
    Thanks for your continued assistance-
    Karen

Karen,

I'm running out of things to try because I'm not into AV, except perhaps trash prefs for VV and Premier and reinstall VV or both. And try assigning much more memory to the associated applications. Write down everything associated with existing settings and new settings and after you make a change try your acid test.

One other remaining thing I'm wondering is if OS7.5 has SCSI Manager 4.3 native to the OS or whether it still used an extension in the Extensions Folder. I have no idea myself because I don't remember a thing about 7.5 which brings up another point. Maybe you need to do a clean install of the OS.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~radse/page12.html an outstanding article on maximizing VVS performance.
    http://www.macworld.com/1995/04/news/556.html confirms that your 8100/110 is best suited for VVS since you have the improved Bart21 NuBus controller chip.

I dug out my NuBus JackHammer manual and my notes. Some items of interest:
    1.The HammerTime extension is a QuickTime modifier that configures the JackHammer to maximize capture rates and optimizes the combined sound and video capture as well as attempting to disable a drive's thermal recalibration during this process.
    2.Set Memory CP RAM cache to 32K and turn on 32-bit addressing. Turn off Virtual Memory.
    3.Turn off AppleTalk in the Chooser.
    4.Place a floppy in the drive (prevents periodic polling to see if anything is in the floppy drive).
    5.Place a CD in the CD drive (same reason as above).
    6.Place a cartridge in any removable drive (same as above).
    7.Use a minimal amount of system extensions and fonts.
    8.Be sure you have all of the QuickTime stuff in your Extensions folder and CP folder. If problems persist, try using the latest version of QuickTime that will work with OS7.5.
    9.Turn Locked NuBus Transfers OFF and Tagged Command Queing OFF in the JackHammer CP Advanced Options and be sure to save by checking the Remember Settings box.
    10.Turn the following special features in the CP OFF - Prefetch, Write Release, Write Accumulate and save.
    11.Capture to your array with no other data on the array.
    12.Digitize onto the first partition of that array.
    13.Store all applications and the OS7.5 System Folder on another drive, not just another partition of the array.

What RAID software and version number are you using? Also some video digitizers may need a BlockMove extension in the Extensions folder. I think the first link above mentions this.

I would try whatever you find easiest first and then work thru the rest of the suggestions. Perhaps reinstalling OS7.5 last. And you can't upgrade to OS7.5.3 because of the software? k

I found one more morsel that I had saved from the old Radius pages:

PBBlockMoveInit

Initially, the 8100/80 was unable to exceed 1.7MB/sec with VideoVision Studio. Apple, however, provided an extension called PBBlockMoveInit that implements block transfers a little differently, resulting in performance that can reach about 5.5MB/sec with VideoVision Studio. This file is included on the third disk of the VideoVision Studio/Telecast disk set, and automatically installed by our installer on Power Macs.

This is not an issue on PCI Power Macintoshes, and this extension should not be used.

Do you have PBBlockMoveInit in your OS7.5 Extensions folder? k

Hi Kaye-
    I've done all the fine tuning you suggested. I am now able to capture 640x480 with only one frame dropped, which I think is great!!!
    So, it would seem to me that files I copy back and forth from the Studio Array would stay intact...that the termination problem is OK. Right?

Karen

Karen,

Seems everything is OK. About the only other possible way to improve performance would be a NuBus G3 which actually goes in the PDS slot. Your PDS slot may already be filled. The Sonnet products, according to magician are not a good choice for AV. Only other option is the Newer products, only available via eBay or the like since Newer is no longer operating but apparently there is a new Newer about to start. Just a thought. k

*sigh* Hi folks-
    I really hate to bother you again. You've all been so helpful already.

I have been using my Studio Array as an alternate start-up disk running system 9. When booting from the regular internal drive (w/ system 7) the Studio Array appears on the desktop and is accessible. But now, when I try to boot from the Studio Array my mac locks up before the splash screen appears.. It's wierd, it's like the system recognizes the Studio array in some respects but not others. I can't get Disk Express to see the Studio Array (uder sys 7) to defrag it.

Any more thoughts?

Karen,

I hope you are still there. Somehow I missed your last post. We have been doing some forum modifications which for awhile was causing an incorrect showing of new posts.

Your latest problem of having OS9 on the array is, I hope but never sure, easily fixable. The problem relates to the ROMs of NuBus PowerMacs and some earlier machines. The ROMs require that any boot partition, that is a partition that has an OS installed that you want to boot from, be no more than 2GB or 2048MB. When I say no more than, I mean not one bit or byte more. The partition can be less. How much less with OS9? I would guess 1GB or 1024MB would be a comfortable volume with OS9. With OS8.6 which does not require as much space, I used to use as little as somewhere just above 500MB, don't remember exactly what.

I have seen that some people do not have this problem with a NuBus PowerMac and I don't know why because the limitation is there. BTW, that boot volume should be the first volume, since your other volume will be used for capture and if the capture volume is ever empty, the boot volume may not be able to boot if it is not the first volume and the first volume is empty. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 29 June 2002).]