Thread: jackhammer termination woes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi folks- I recently added an external jaz drive to my "regular" scsi chain which includes a zip 100 drive. I had to remove an old Syquest drive to do this. I also have a Studio Array with a Jackhammer card. Now all of a sudden my scsi 2 chain (as reported by scsi probe) is NOT terminated. I did go out and buy a new terminator which didn't help. I can't figure this out. The Studio Array icon appears on the desktop and works per usual (although I haven't tried to do high speed capture). Any opinions would be a help!! Thanks!

Sounds like that's exactly what the problem is

So.. question though - where in the chain (physically) is the new Jaz located?. Was it in the same place as the Syquest?. Is it at the end of the chain? If so, then that drive must be explicitly terminated. Double check to see that if you are using an external terminator, that then internal termination on the drive is off. Sometimes the internal circuitry gets screwy.

BTW - I'm assuming that the Studio Array is on a physically separate SCSI bus.

Bad cabling and bad terminators are a bear to diagnose.. Try removing or altering the sequence of devices in the chain - ensure that the last device on the bus is is terminated.

Chris

Hi Doc- Thanks for your speedy response. I remember now some other details I left out of my first posting. I was trying to pin point just which device and/or scsi bus was causing the termination problem. I disconnected the Studio Array from the Jackhammer card (and yes, it does occupy a seperate scsi bus). After removing this drive the termination problem no longer appeared. To double check my results I disconnected both the zip and jaz drives from their scsi bus and reconnected the Studio Array to it's bus. Wa-La, the termination problem rears it's ugly head again. This makes me think the problem lies within the scsi 2 bus somewhere. As I said before, I bought a new terminator for the Studio Array, which didn't help at all. I can't figure it out. I didn't even touch the scsi 2 bus when adding the jaz drive yet the problem is apparently coming from there. I hope this additional information helps.
    Thanks-
    Karen

Hi

I'm a bit confused (it's late)...

What machine are you working on?.

If the problem disappeared when you removed the Studio array from the Jackhammer card (and that was the only device on that card), then that would suggest that the Studio Array was to blame (or its termination was).

The fact that you removed the Zip and Jaz from their bus but reconnected the Studio Array and the problem returned has likely nothing to do with those devices and the bus they are on but would suggest something with the Jackhammer card.

Is this your set up

bus # 1: SCSI -> Zip / Jaz

bus #2 : Jackhammer -> Studio Array

How is the Jaz / Zip SCSI chain terminated? - what is the last device on the bus? and I'm assuming everything has proper SCSI ID numbers...

Chris

damsel. Are you using the JackHammer Control Panel? Have you set the card Termination to Auto? I'm thinking that it's possible that the external port of the JackHammer is set to on and it's seeing double termination when the array is connected. This would be just as much a problem as no termination at all!

Hello again folks-
    Here's some additional information. I'm running an 8100/110 machine with nubus cards.
    Lasvegas, Iam using the Jackhammer control panel but there isn't (as far as I can tell) any type of termination options for the nubus version.
    Doc, my configuration is as you illustrated.
    bus # 1: SCSI -> Zip / Jaz
    bus #2 : Jackhammer -> Studio Array
    The Zip/Jaz chain is terminated using the termination switch on the back of the Jaz drive (the Jaz being the last drive on the chain).
    SCSI ID's are as follows:
    Zip=5
    Jaz=6
    Studio Array= 1/2

I really appreciate all your help you guys.
    Karen