Thread: 7300 won't boot

I have a computer at work that has been upgraded a year or so back with xlr8/initio/cheetah config and has been running pretty smooth. Yesterday i had to unplug it and move it to a new location and was very careful not to bump it or anything. Upon rebooting in its new home it would freeze at the happy mac with the xlr8 icon loading. I shut it down and reseated everything and still no boot. throughout the day i was able to get it to boot after it had been shut down for a bit..but after a couple hours it froze. I now can't get it to boot past the happy mac at all. I have tried EVERYTHING. No luck....what should i do next? The only thing i have not elimintated is the ram and the motherboard. I am going to start working on the ram next. Its given me a MIGRAiNE!!!! Both hard drives will mount on my home computer and the xlr8 card is working fine in my home computer too. I have not put the miles card into my home computer but have bypassed it in the other computerr and booted off a CD..which boots fine, but freezes most of the time at the same happy mac.

Hmmm - Here's a thought - have you checked your PRAM battery?. If it's the original one, then it may be time to replace it.

Other thoughts - check your terminators and jumpers on your hard drives - maybe they got jiggled when you moved the computer.

I had an old IIsi that was quite happy and puttering around until I shut it down for couple of weeks and then - dead - no go - so I suspect it was happy because it was always on the mains power so the PRAM stayed fresh but once it's shut down, the PRAM info was lost as the battery was dead...

Chris

bought a new battery and have tried booting with NO hard drives, just off the cd-rom drive...no luck. I'm going to power this computer down in a couple hours and then try more things with the 7300. Have not looked at the cd-rom or tried booting with just a 1 known good stick of ram.

Is your power supply fan still working? Freezing after a short period could be overheating. Also, have you tried booting with extensions off? Hmm, it looks like your machine may not get far enough for that to matter. I would definitely check that your fan is working. Otherwise, you seem to be narrowing down the possibilities nicely. It's a pain and it's time consuming, but one usually gets to the bottom of the problem, the way that you are doing.

It's interesting that you get the same symptom when booting from the CD drive.

I did not check the power supply fan. I did pull all the memory and everything out of the computer, and installed a known good memory stick as well as a known good scsi drive, to see what happens as well as pulling the xlr8 card and re-installing the OEM 7300 card. I was able to boot from the known good HD, and had 5 or 10 minutes before things got flakey. On restart i hung in the same spot as with the other HD and the CD-Rom. And once it would hang it kept hanging...so the "heat" thing is what i was thinking as well, but i was thinking that something on the Mother Board was causing it...i will try again later and see that the power supply fans are turning. Thanks for the help. My gut says its the mother board and its time to shop for another board. Or possibly it might be best to shop for a used G3 or G4 and migrate some of this stuff and sell some of it.