Thread: QT5 killed my desktop pic/RCA video input

I'm running a G3 MT. Apple Video Player and Video Startup are installed, OS is 8.6. I also have BTV Pro. It used to work great. I upgraded from QT4 to QT5 and now no video. I've tried zapping PRAM, going back to QT4, playing with Extension Overload, manually turning on/off extensions, checking the plugs and cords, lowering monitor resolution and going to thousands of colors (http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/...val=KC.24353), and increasing monitor refresh rate.

I hear audio through the RCA jacks but all I can get are black or white in the video box. It also kills off any desktop pictures, anbd in the Appearance control panel the picture is pink. By going back to QT4, I can get a desktop picture back, but no video. I'd get more VRAM if I could guarantee it work, but it used work great without it. All I want is for to work again. I think it may be ATI extension issue??? If someone who has a working G3 MT AV would you please post a
    list of the extensions and versions you are using? Thanks.

I have a beige G3 MT AV machine that I've had for a few months. It's running 9.2.2 and 10.1.5. Unfortunately, for your question, I've never run OS 8.6 or QT 4 on it. All works fine for me with QT 5.02

You need to get more specific about "no video"; apparently you are getting something. Are you using the on-board video and is it Rage II or Rage Pro and do you have the extra 4 MB of VRAM? If you have a PCI video card, Apple Video Player needs an monitor connected to the on-board video to work properly.

Have you tried it with all external video inputs disconnected?

You might try trashing the Apple Video Player preferences.

You can, try bootng from a bootable CD. If for have video, that eliminates a hardware problem and tells you it's a software problem.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 20 June 2002).]

I have a G3 MT rev A with 6MB video along with an ATI Rage 128 OEM, but it runs QT6, 9.2.2 and 10.1.5. I haven't tried to use BTV (not Pro version) under OS 9 in months, but could.

You said you played with ATI extensions, but unless you have retail ATI board (Radeon 20001 or 7000 model, or Rage Orion?) I would leave as is.

Can QuickTime 6 PR1 run on pre-9.1 systems? Do you have a PCI video card? Latest BTV Pro? (there was an update in the last month I think).

Another item, Apple posted CarbonLib 1.6 which I've been using for months now, worth taking a look at maybe as BTV and other carbon apps may benefit, but that's more of a wild shot. Ive never had any issue with it.

How much RAM? Do you have a G3 upgrade or stock? Not that it matter much but BTV likes to use as much cpu as possible it seems. As for getting more VRAM, sounds like you are using built-in only, and just 2MB? I'd say PCI video might be more sensible if you want to invest to get things running right.

Can you put 9.1/9.2.2 on another partition if you have a copy? And see if that helps any. You have access to more current drivers for video at the least. If you know how to use Tomb Viewer to extract extensions you can 'fudge' an upgrade - on a test system.

One thing I would do besides the extensions testing is to just move your system folder/preferences folder out, put it aside somewhere, force it to create new preferences, especially for monitors and display, and see if that helps.

Conflict Catcher and Preference Overload 4.2 can test for corrupt preferences. CC8/9 can also test for a corrupt system file (as will ResEdit).

Last, have you run Disk Warrior? As long as you're house cleaning, it is part of my regular maintenance. A clean install of the OS to a fresh partition can help - couldn't hurt ... you've done everything else.

Gregory

I am using the original specs: 2 MB VRAM, built in RCA jacks (in and out). The black or white video is on the actual Apple Video Player or BTV Pro window (the regular SONY monitor works fine).

What is most troubling is the conflict with the OS 8.6 Appearance control panel. Does any one know a safe place to but a OS 9 CD? I've seen that they are now machine specific, most for sale are for G4s. I need one for a non-USB G3. i'm so desperate now I'm willing to buy more VRAM and a new OS just to bea ble to video capture again. I originally was planning to continue to send out movies to relative so f my 2 kids, and to use CU-see-me for online chatting, but I'm worried OS 9 will kill this too...

I also meant to add that I'm using the original built in "card" which is a ATY mach64 3DU Pro. I'm not using any PCI gear. The AV ports are built in.

I have tried tossing out all the preferences too, including one desperate attempt to use a CD backup for my prefs and extensions which failed horribly (I forgot how much had changes in less than a couple of weeks). When I r34tarted BTV pro it asked which input to use, Composite or S-video. I pressume RCA on the original equipemnt is composite, but I also tried S-video with the expected failure....

Thanks for your help....

OS 9.1 retail is for any PPC Mac. Only the OEM version that ships with Macs are machine specific. Apple even recommends 9.1 for anything from 7200 up.

And of course if you look at OWC etc you can find OS X 10.0 which comes with the 9.1 CD. 10.1 came with 9.2.1 full OS CD, which would be even better.

Check my response to this question that you asked in the Video Upgrades forum. I just saw this parallel forum so ignore my comments about checking composite/s-video inputs.