Thread: Internal Modem Mayhem

All,

I just upgraded OSX to 10.1.4 in order to get my IDE/Firewire enclosure to work properly. All that is working just fine. However, I have noticed odd behavior from my modem.

From the time that I upgraded to 10.1.4, the modem icon in the toolbar did not animate when connecting and disconnecting. This is not such a big problem, but in the last week or two, the modem will connect and perform correctly the first time after booting up. Subsequent connections to my ISP are actually successful, but the modem will not receive any inbound traffic (according to the Internal Modem display panel).

I have tried logging out of OSX and back in (to different accounts), but after the first initial connection has been terminated, nothing that I can do will reset the modem. The only thing that works is rebooting the machine. I have a TiBook 384M/10G/DVD.

Any help would be appreciated.

PPP is a real pain and would seemingly lock-up. Apple has published some recent updates to its KB. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75185

You might want to backup OS X (to another volume and/or a .dmg disk image) and update to 10.1.5, but of course read the MacIntouch and MacFixit reports if you have any qualms or doubts.

I just upgraded to 10.1.5, and the problem persists. Any suggestions on how
    to get the internal modem to reset properly (if that is, in fact, the problem)?

TIA