Thread: Can't update Firmware on Blue & White

Hi All, and thanks in advance.
    Got the flashing question mark!! Tried to do a clean install. Got the Your firmware is out of date message. Tried to update -- got " The G3 Firmware updater cannot move the necessary files too the current System Folder because the volume is locked. Your firmware will not be updated. Please restart from an unlocked volume. Erased the hard drive completly and re initialized the drive , same message.. Tried several times to update firmware and got the long tone but firmware was not updated. What next?? Tried the command - option - O - F thing and no white screen??
    What next??

Best -- Randy

Randy,

"?" only means it couldn't locate the boot block's bootloader or a blessed system folder. By "clean" I assume you initialized the drive first.

What OS? What drive type? which version of Drive Setup or 3rd party did you use? I have to guess or assume that this is the first time you are trying to install and use OS 9 and were using 8.6 previously? Did you try to reinstall 8.6?

XLR8 has a good firmware updater to allow for a G4 upgrade. Maybe you are trying to add a G4? As you can see I'm having trouble reading between the lines and guessing. Apple does have some good articles on the "?" thing (mostly dealing with OS X) and on how to do the firmware update. So does the G#*Zone on www.xlr8yourmac.com which is devoted to beige and B*W G3s.

It is sounding like you had an unsuccessful firmware update - and a bad day of it. Zap PRAM couple times then retry the OF and isue the "reset-nvram" along with "set-defaults' followed by "reset-all" should clear it up normally.

Gregory

[This message has been edited by Gregory (edited 15 June 2002).]

Thanks Gregory for the reply --
    Actually, I am quite familar with 9. I was asked to help a friend in need. The existing system was 9.0.4! The stock 12 gig HD (ATA). The flashing Question mark folder was happening when I became involved. I tried starting with extensions off, Zapped the PRAM, Ran the Apple disk first Aid, Ran Tech Tool Pro v3.04. All to no avail. I then attempted to do a clean install. That's when I got the firmware message.
    I now decided that it was a good idea to back up all his files. I connected my Titaniun in Target disk mode and coppied nearly 8 gigs of data.
    So now I decide to do a zero all data and reinitialize the drive. I try to install OS 9.1, Firmware message again! I rezero data in TechTool initialize. I attempt Firmware update again, I get the long tone this time but no progress bar on the monitor. No firmware update successful message. I try the install again, Firmware needs update message again. I used the Drive set up utility on my OS 9.1 CD.
    I tried an OS 9.0 CD, OS 8.5 (won't even boot) My friend does not have the "SoftWare Restore CD" ( would have been my next try ). So now I try the "Open Firmware" command (stock USB Keyboard) I held the keys down for a really long time, no firmware screen. I not upgrading, stock 350MHz processor. I hope I have filled in between the lines.

Best -- Randy