Thread: B&W hickups

Hi all,

My sister has a rev1 B&W that she just did a clean system install of 9.1 on. All is well except that it has that darn hesitation where she is typing in and nothing shows up...then all of a sudden it shows up but maybe missing a few keystrokes. And then hesitates again and again.

I seem to recall a couple of extensions that were the cause of this but my memory is fading fast on pre-OSX stuff. I suppose it also could be a networking issue...

Thanks for ideas folks.

Rick

How about that Index Volumes for Sherlock running in the background? k

Rick,

I would assume that your sister would have a Miles2, G4/500, and 1GB RAM, and cured of the idea of running 9.1 by now

Allocate more memory and turn off VM. Swap out the OEM drive (if that is what she's using).

I always have to give even control panels more memory than what Apple has set for preferred. It could be from using an older MSIE and Outlook and having them open at the same time. Word 98 and later all need tons of memory to run properly (50MB).

Gregory

Hey Gregory,

?Unfortunately my sister is one of those graphic artist types. Yes, she does have Miles2 and scsi drives and no, she isn't running OSX yet. It's a hard chore to get graphics people to say adios to what comfortably lets them do their artistic thing.

?Turns out that there is an incompatibility between OS9.1, Quicktime 5.05 and Iomega extensions. Eric and Don over on the Apple forums had done a write up of this that I only vaguely remembered, but they reprinted it for me. Simply deactivating the Iomega extension or leaving a disk in the zip makes the problem go away.

I appreciate you and Kaye thinking on this for me. I passed on the suggestions, but the answer turned out to be the QT/Iomega thing and it's now solved.

Thanks again guys.

Rick