Thread: Ibook/600 Broken start up disk icon

Okay here goes --
    My wife's iBook 600 DVD OS X 10.1.4
    The cursor is frozen won't budge!! The "Force Quit" command would not work!! I tried several times. Shut it down with the Power key, restarted. Flashing question mark?? Restarted, zapped PRAM, Still flashing question Mark. Tried again. This time I got something I've never sen before. The sysyem folder start up icon appeared ripped in 2???

Tried startup from the 9.2 CD selected start up disk and the OS X (iBook) Icon did not show. Tried Tech Tool, No Hard drive recognized. Tried Drive Ten, No Hard drive recognized. Tried the software restore disk and again Hard drive not recognised. Can't repair the thing if I can't see it!!

I'm beginning to think that I have a dead Hard Drive. Hope someone has a suggestion.

Thanks -- Randy

Does Drive Setup (in the Utilities folder) on your 9.2 CD find the drive? If it does, you more likely have a software problem than a hardware problem. I'm usually able to bail myself out of hard drive recognition problems by using DiskWarrior (preferred) or Norton.

Well turns out that the lovely lady had th iBook setting on a mouse pad!!
    It felt quite warm to the touch!! Shut it down, and it booted finr thr next morning. Wheww!!
    Thanks for your suggestion.

Best -- Randy