Thread: SCSI headache

Hi guys,
    My configuration is an MP G4 500 Mhz, 1GB RAM, a 39160 Adaptec card, an external Seagate 36GB and Final Cut Pro 3. Since the first time I used the disk it never worked fluently. Sometime I succeeded to work for a couple of days but than the transfer speed, drop down and images playback jerky. When I benchmark the volume (SoftRaid ATTO) it reads and writes under 2mb/s. The reseller changed already the box and the disk and myself tried all possible solutions, as update the driver for the Adaptec, swap slot but nothing worked. I am not an informative engineer but I worked with SCSI drives for quite a long time but this time it is driving me crazy.
    Any of you have a step by step procedure to do?
    The funny thing is that if I mount an old SCSI disk barracuda 9GB it works great!!!
    Thanks for any advice.
    Francesco

External case and cable from... ? or did you buy drive and case separately?
    Granite cable? Adaptec?
    Active Terminator is VERY important. I've tried and nothing compares to Granite's.
    SoftRAID is 2.2.2?
    Which OS?
    Have you played with mode pages? (minor)
    Which Cheetah model? ST336706LW (current 10k) ST336752LW (X15)

If you only have one drive, and it has a good cable, Granite terminator, you could also use Intech Harddisk Speedtools 3.5.

Would like to know what shows up when you launch Adaptec PowerDomain 6.1.2 and whether it shows you are getting Wide(wide) 80 MHz on that drive.

If you had a 66 MHz PCI slot it would fly in that slot.
    The earlier 36GB Cheetahs were nothing compared ot those Seagate released in the last 6 months, but should get 35MB/s I would think. Hopefully a SCSI database will eventually help compare results.

Perhaps those ideas will help jump-start what is happening, what you need to do next.

Gregory

Hi Gregory,

<External case and cable from... ? or did you buy drive and case s<eparately?
    <Granite cable? Adaptec?
    <Active Terminator is VERY important. I've tried and nothing compares to <Granite's.
    <SoftRAID is 2.2.2?
    <Which OS?

The external case is from CIDESIGN and the model should be BLOX, the reseller in Rome assembled it.
    About the cablethere are some write on it E74020 AWM STYLE 20276 80м?C 30 VW-1 DER AN, hope it could help.
    As far as I know the case terminates the chain itself maybe not?
    The software is ATTO Express RAID 2.2 but now the disck is formatted by Drive Setup, as I said I tried all the different way to initialize it but I didn't notice any difference.
    I just update to 9.2.2 and on another partiton MACOS X. At start up on MACOS 9.2.2 if the disk is on the computer wouldn't start, if I switch on it as soon as the happy icon appears on the screen, than it would start without mounting the disk on the desktop.
    On MACOS X the disk is not seen but it is the first time I see macos X, so I still don't know how to move myself on it.

<Have you played with mode pages? [minor)

No, I prefer to do not manipulate when I am not totally sure about what I am doing.

<Which Cheetah model? ST336706LW [current 10k) ST336752LW [X15)

These infos are from Silverlining Pro, why it shows so many partitions?

мямямямя Device Information мямямямя
    Manufacturer: SEAGATE
    Model: ST336705LW
    Version: 0105
    Supports the SCSI 3 standard

Total capacity = 35,843,684 KB
    Total sectors = 71,687,369
    Bytes per sector = 512
    Cylinders (tracks) = 19,110
    Heads (platters) = 8
    Sectors = 218
    Interleave = 1

Name of installed driver: .ASYC00 (v8.1.4)
    Reference number of Driver: -82

Partition 1
    Name: Apple
    Type: Apple_partition_map
    Start block = 1
    Block count = 63

Partition 2
    Name: Macintosh
    Type: Apple_Driver43 мя
    Start block = 64
    Block count = 54

Partition 3
    Name: Macintosh
    Type: Apple_Driver43
    Start block = 118
    Block count = 74

Partition 4
    Name: Patch Partition
    Type: Apple_Patches
    Start block = 192
    Block count = 512

Partition 5
    Name: senza titolo
    Type: Apple_HFS
    Start block = 704
    Block count = 71,686,656

Partition 6
    Name: Extra
    Type: Apple_Free
    Start block = 71,687,360
    Block count = 10

<Would like to know what shows up when you launch Adaptec <PowerDomain 6.1.2 and whether it shows you are getting Wide[wide) 80 <MHz on that drive.

Yeap, it shows 80MHz Wide (I noticed sometime it shows Asyncronous)

<If you had a 66 MHz PCI slot it would fly in that slot.
    <The earlier 36GB Cheetahs were nothing compared ot those Seagate <released in the last 6 months, but should get 35MB/s I would think. <Hopefully a SCSI database will eventually help compare results.

I am sure there is something wrong, because apparently without any reason, sometime benchmarking the volume it shows a speed of 105/98MB/s.
    I really appreciate your help, as I said it is driving me up the wall, it is almost 2 years I am trying to use my 1k$ scsi disk without result. Would u belive I bought an UltraATA IBM as a slave disk to be able to work?
    Thanks a lot for your interest. At least I feel less hopeless.
    Francesco

Francesco,

Take a look at photos in the catalogue area of terminators. There has to be an active terminator on the back of the drive case. Usually they have a light to show what mode it is running, or speed, or other information.

I don't like to hear people are turning on a drive AFTER starting up the computer. Usually give a drive two minutes to warm up.

Drive Setup is one way to format, initialize. But if you are using OS X, I prefer using OS X Disk Utility - available on the CD or from another startup drive - to partition and initialize. Seems to work better than any other.

When the cable or terminator and not talking correctly, I would see something ohter than the 80 mhz wide(wide) reported. Meaning something physically is wrong most likely. (cable and terminator).

Of course w/o opening the drive case, can't see if they may have inadvertantly put jumpers on the drive also.

Silverlining may not be up to 9.2.2 and I know it doesn't support OS X. Real important to have the latest AND that it is certified for OS X. I'd assume that ATTO RAID software can be updated if needed. Their ExpressStripe for OS X is $99 and yet I don't think it is ready yet - it is still at "1.0".

Terminators: http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...rminators.html
    Cables: http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart...extcables.html
    Also, Granite Digial www.granitedigital.com has some good photos.
    If you need more explanation, most of the SCSI info can be found in the Gurus SCSI pages.