Thread: One monitor, two questions

I have a superMac S900 running OS 8.6. The monitor is a 17" Optiquest Q71. Both are about three-four years old.

On startup, the start up screen is appearing after a long wait (30 seconds or so). I have read that this should appear in about 10. What might be causing this?

In addition, recently the monitor has taken to dropping out without warning. It's still on- but the screen image disappears to black, and the ON light goes from green to amber. A series of "clicks" emanates from within the monitor. Usually shutting down the Mac and the monitor, then rebooting will bring it back. But not always, not for long any more.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

To start with, make sure your video card is fully seated in its PCI slot. Then be sure the monitor cable connector and adapter, if you have one, are fully connected. Your monitor cable may also have a connector at the monitor end to check. Let us know. k

If you added memory recently, that could be why it takes longer for your monitor to light up. The machine does a memory self test when it powers on and before activating the video card, and the more memory, the longer the test takes.

As to the monitor cutting out during operation, I would try Kaye's suggestions. If that fails, I think your monitor may be malfunctioning. I've seen some monitors fail as they get old, in such a way that they seem to develop narcolepsy--that is, they just go to sleep without warning.

I've had problems with a computer waking from sleep, in which the monitor could have been mistaken to be blanked instead of the whole machine asleep. Only a 3-finger salute would cure this sometimes.

This kind of monitor blanking/sleep problem can be cured from the Energy Saver control panel setting, by not putting the machine or the display to sleep ever.