Thread: 9500 turns off unexpectedly erradically

My 9500/120 (Sonnet G3/400 96/1Gig, 32mb Video card, asante ethernet card, usb card, adaptec u2w/9gig [works, but waiting for software to recover HD]) I think that takes care of the specifics. Anyway, sometimes the thing just turns off, no warning, no usual precursers. Sometimes after running for hours. Then restarting is like starting a sick car, but eventually it will run. Power supply, or what? You've helped a lot with my questions already, I'm sure this isn't much of a test of your skills.

The first thing I'd check is if the fan in the power supply is still pumping warm air out of the back of your computer! If this fan has failed, it could cause the power supply to spontaneously shutdown. This could also cause random freezing due to the processor overheating.

Fan works. That reminds me, though. Sometimes it won't restart for a few minutes as if it's overheated. The only problem is that the fan works good.

There's no way to be certain without testing, but it certainly sounds like the power supply has gone flakey to me. There are some articles on XLR8yourmac.com on converting an ATX power supply to use in the 9500, in the event that you wish to try to save a little money. You can now get most of the parts at DigiKey for a few dollars. The fittings are called Mini-Fit Jr. and they are made by Molex.

To my mind, the real advantage to the ATX conversion is to build an adapter, so that the next time you need a power supply, you can just plug in an easy to find ATX supply. To build an adapter, you need a 20 pin plug which will fit the 20 pin receptacle on the ATX supply. That way you can build an adapter into which the ATX supply plugs at one end, and which plugs into your 9500 board at the other end.

Here is some info I wrote on teh topic of the ATX plug:

1) The 20 pin connector is called a Molex Mini-Fit Jr. 20 pin Plug (yes, it looks like a receptacle, but the pins inside are male). The Molex part number is 39-01-2201 and a google search turns up darn little (five hits).

Digi-Key (http://www.digikey.com) has a 20 pin Mini-Fit BMI plug housing (WM3616-ND) which may be a little different than a Mini-fit Jr. connector but their catalog says that BMI connectors mate with Mini-fit Jr. It's $2.10 plus shipping (they offer USPS shipping which is about $3.50 and faster IME than UPS) but there is a $5 surcharge on orders under $25. Digikey also has the 39-01-2201 but the minimum order appears to be 1000 at about $.46 each or $460 total...

The plug housing is just that, a housing. You still need pins. The pins for the plug are male and there are several choices depending on whether you want gold or tin and gauge of wire. The best bet is WM2500-ND or Molex part number 39-00-0041. The catalog says $.37 each per 10 and I don't know if that means $3.70 for ten or $.37 for ten. Get some extras, because there's a good chance you'll break one or two when crimping the wires to the pins.

Another option is to go to a local PC shop and buy an ATX power supply cable extender. The local shop here (Howard Electronics) has them for under $5. At one end of that extender will be the 20 pin plug.

I'll try your solution as soon a I can. One last small annoying problem: I just got my u2w 9G back (thanks to Norton) and things are starting to get back to usual, but it makes an annoying noise like it's accessing the drive every second. It's like living with a clock. Is there anything I can do? I tried norton's speed disk but it freezes at the check media stage or something, anyway it says it only has a little fragmentation anyway. I'm using it as my startup disk, but I don't remember this noise before, and it made it an hour or so before it started. Life was so much better before... but you guys sure have helped tremendously over the last few weeks getting me back in order. Thanks

I know I've used you guys a lot, and I really tried other sources to solve this, but I don't know where else to turn (and it's certainly not worth $30 to go to netscape) I can't delete one of the profiles when netscape starts up. It started when I moved over to the 9er. I had to redo my profile, and now it asks me which profile I want every time I load netscape. Small, I know, but it really is driving me nuts. I looked for everything that looks like it might have something to do with profiles and trashed it, but no luck. Any suggestions?

I don't the answer to your netscape question. You may wish to post it in the software forum.

My rule of thumb with hard drives is if it makes funny noises, back up the data on it and either send it back to the manufacturer for warranty replacement, or reformat it and then mistrust it for a little while. It could be making those noises because something is wonky with the driver or the formating, so reformating and reinstalling the driver might solve the funny noise issue. But it could have a more serious problem too. Either way, back up your data to protect yourself.