Thread: Damaged Disk Drive

Trying to fix a disk that is making everything crawwwwwlllll. Used Norton Disk Doctor and it stalls after a certain point "checking media" and tried DiskWarrior and it quits in the middle.

Any other ideas? I need to desperately save what is on this hard drive.

thanks in advance, John Ta.

If you can - I'd back-up what you have on that drive (pull it to another drive?) and then try the fixes...You don't want the "fix" to end up hosing your drive from the outset...

Chris

Norton will "lock down" a bad block if it can, but can't fix it. To do that you need to either zero-all (IDE) or low-level format (SCSI) if using Drive Setup if there is in fact a bad sector.

John,

Disk Warrior can look like it's frozen when it's working away. DW works by reading ALL your data bit by bit and attempts to recreate beginning and ending marker indexes where they are missing or corrupt. This is a HUGE job. Takes all the system resources available and will give the appearance of a locked up computer.

Let it run, hours sometimes. On a 60 gig DW ran all night for me once. You'll need a bunch of patience. Realize also that DW will not 'repair' your drive but will usually make your data available to be copied to another drive. Make sure you have the space available to store the data you are recovering.

It is not fun going after data that's on a trashed drive. I have spent many an hour pacing around like a crazy man alternately yelling and then muttering miscellaneous obsceneties. Might as well just press go and leave for a few hours.

Rick

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

On or about ....today Ricks spewed the following:

I have spent many an hour pacing around like a crazy man alternately yelling and then muttering miscellaneous obsceneties.

Rick.....you got a video of that? You could post it to show what is and is not proper tech support ettiquite (sp?)

------------------
    Damien,

http://www.macmeisters.com/Damien/

DW quits during "9 of 11", I'd wait, but it quits.

Norton quits too, says "disk error"

I'm going to send it to Disk Savers and pay their quote of 500 to 1200 unless someone else has other ideas.

John,

Those are not happy words. One last suggestion in the do-it-yourself catagory is TechToolPro.

My first recovery I ever did was the previously mentioned 'pace and yell' session that caused my wife to gather the kid and go visit friends. I used TechTool that time. The tension came because I didn't understand proper backups and it was one week until fiscal year end with my business. All my records to the last backup were at risk, and it had been a couple of weeks since I burned a backup. High activity year end records at that. I was a wreck. (no video Damien)

TechTool has the capability to select pieces of your data to recover during the stages. You also have more control over the stages instead of DW's all or nothing method. I found the rescue a high tension process when I didn't know if the first batch of data recovered might be the last, but in the end using the bit by bit method Techtool recovered my entire disk to another drive.

That's the only other suggestion I have. Wish it were more.

I wish you the best of luck.

Rick