Thread: Header Nodes.

I've lost the directory of a ATA 30gig drive. Norton keeps trying to repair it. But then keeps telling me that there is a problem with the header node. Is there anyway I can repair this?

Try DiskWarrior. Repairing and optimizing the directory is its specialty. Don't know if it can repair that particular header node problem. Never had that one. k

never trust Norton. Hopefully you are using the latest version as earlier versions would actually damage a drive further. Disk Warrior should help and give you an option to backup from the preview. TechTool Pro 3.06 will also. If you run DW first, it is usually safe to run and let Norton do any repairs after - but not before doing so. ie, use NUM with care.

Gregory

Yeah, I tried running both Disk Warrior and Norton. But I haven't tried Tech Tool yet. I will try that one right away.

nope....tech tool cacked on it too....this sucks. i mean, if i do a "get info" on the drive, it will confirm that I have the right number of files, there's got to be a way to recover them.

You can use Norton's Unerase utility to search the drive for directories. You will need to restore the files to another drive, but it should recover all surviving directories. Once complete, reformat the drive and have it check the drive's blocks in the process.

Guess what guys. I had emailed Alsoft (makers of Disk Warrior) and I actually got a phone call from one of the support reps. He said to try booting from the OS cd and running Disk Warrior from my firewire drive. Apparently the extension set on the OS cd's is more complementary to Disk Warrior than a full blown install on another drive. So I booted from CD, ran DW and it worked!!!!!!!!!! It completely restored all 30 gigs!!!!!!

So, a lesson learned. If your using DW, boot from that machine's OS cd.