Thread: Randon freezes

I have been having issues with my rev 1 BW G3 350 for about a week now. After a clean install of both 9.2.2. and all my applications, the system still randomly freezes at almost any point. I've been banging my head against a wall trying to determine what it could be. Are there any commonly known issues/softwares that cause extension conflicts, etc. I've been troubleshpoting extensions, but can't seen to narrow this one down. System config: OS 9.2.2, GW G3/350, 1 gb ram (PC133 DIMM First Aid OK-though CL2 not supported?), stock internal 6 gb, Quantum and Maxtor 40 gb 7200 rpb connected to Tempo ATA/66 card. OS and apps on ATA/66 (stock internal blank), Radeon PCI with 1.1.1 drivers (issues with march and display corruption) and Adaptec 2906 (1.2 drivers). Help!

Have you tried booting with extensions disabled? If the problem goes away, then it's likely an extension conflict. You might also try booting from an OS CD. If the problem is not present then, then it's likely either an extension conflict, system corruption, or some problem in the drive or controller for your hard drive where the OS is stored.

I'd start with those simple tests first. If could also be defective RAM.

Another night of endless extensions troubleshooting. Question? Would an attached SCSI dirve possible contribute to a situation like mine? I have noticed that the mac is more stable when both Adaptec driver and External SCSI (APS 20 gb) are off (actaully got through a project ). I haven't tried with the extension on and drive off yet. Just starting to notice things. This drive in particular was originally connected to my 8500/G4 and was on all the time and automatically mounted on the 8500. With the BW/G3 and 2906 I have to mount with SCSI probe 5.2.1 (or is SCSI probe part of the problem)? OR could the faster BW be highlighting a problem that was non-existant on the 8500?

What is the drive formatted with? and have you run Disk Warrior? always a first step for troubleshooting.

Also, what is the drive? do you have active terminator on it? Cable? loose connection? make sure the ID looks okay. Did you use to or do you now have SCSI Probe in control panels folder? or CC8/9 set to mount all volumes?

I wasn't aware that Adaptec needed a driver extension. APS 20GB? SCSI? narrow 18GB 7200 rpm Baraccuda? APS PowerTools 6.4+ (is it OS 9.2.2 compliant?) or Drive Setup? A 2930 would be faster, and Adaptec has a trade-up program going on offering OS X compliant controllers w/ free cable and rebates on 29/39160.

I wouldn't put it past anyone that there could be issues with the Tempo and 9.2.2 and/or Radeon plus 2906. Really. The 2906 doesn't support open firmware which is why it isn't bootable.

Most common problem I've seen with OS 9 (all flavors) is a system file that ResEdit and Conflict Catcher report needs repair (file length, caused by an installer or program adding a resource improperly). Clean install should avoid that, but NetBarrier and others and you say you have installed all your applications.

I find that I have to give some control panels more memory. Control Strip is a must (300k is all but default is 80k or something, disable the thing maybe), along wtih EM and others.

PC133 should be good and if it all came from Crucial or someone rather than mix of vendors, better yet. Or Acme. If you hadn't run DIMM First Aid that would be the 2nd thing I'd have looked at.

I have a rev 2, Radeon 2001, March update w/o any issues. I assume you've read up on reports on www.xlr8yourmac.com on that one.

Gregory

Disk Warrior reports all is fine will all drives. DIMM First Aid says memory is fine although reports CL2 not supported. I'm leaning toward the APS SCSI external/2906 or possibly the Tempo AT A/66 I locked up durnin transfer and seemed to take forever to transfer 13 gb of data. WHat are some of the issues with the Tempo? Also curious is there a preferred slot order for cards in G3? or could the battery be going?