Thread: Performa 6205 crash

When my daughter tries to startup her Performa, it shuts down abruptly after a short period. It seems like a low-level hardware problem, but I don't know where to look. Sometimes it doesn't even get through the startup sequence. Other times it shuts down 2-3 minutes after startup. Could it be the power supply? Help - I can't afford a new machine for her!

Can you describe it in a bit more detail? (I seem to recall a similar posting about a problem like this from a while back)

What OS?
    Which performa?

Seems a bit strange that you can sometime get it to run and other times it dies.

What do you have typically running on the machine?

Chris

I would be interested in some detail also.

Will the computer startup off of a bootable CD or floppy, if I'm not mistaken the 6205 has both? (hold down the 'C' key during restart with a CD that has a system folder on it installed in the CD-Rom)

You can also try a PRAM reset on the restart. You hold down the Command+Option+P+R keys during startup and keep them held until your hear 3 startup tones.

If that doesn't work, you can try resetting the CUDA button? (a small button on the motherboard ,hold it down for at least 30 seconds) This will reset the PRAMs and NVRAM via a hardware reset. You'll have to re-enter things like clock settings and virtual memory in your control panels since this will set all to default settings.

A couple of ideas on things to try.

Rick

i have a performa 6205 collecting dust, in my room here, if you want it its yours for the cost of shipping..its in perfect working condition and i can't imagine shipping would be much. email me if you are interested. FWIW, have you changed the battery?

[This message has been edited by tm311 (edited 25 April 2002).]

Rick:

>Will the computer startup off of a bootable CD or floppy
    Tried booting from CD, it exhibits the same problem.

>You can also try a PRAM reset on the restart.
    Tried this as well.

>If that doesn't work, you can try resetting the CUDA button?
    Didn't try this. I will let you know if it works. Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris:

>What OS?

>Which performa?
    6205CD

>Seems a bit strange that you can sometime get it to run and other times it >dies.
    It always dies, it's just a matter of how long it takes.

>What do you have typically running on the machine?
    Not alot - it maxes out at 64MB RAM, so it's not capable of running any real hungry apps. My daughter runs AOL 5, WordPerfect 3.5, a few games and assorted shareware from the MacAddict CD's we get every month. I also installed a PDS ethernet card to run Appletalk over our LAN.

Chris