Thread: Strange video problem after installing new RAM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I just installed new RAM (from the gurus!), and now I'm having a strange video problem. I have a beige G3 tower running OS 8.1. I just installed three 256MB DIMMS which appear to be working great.

After booting and watching the extensions load, my screen should normaly change from the desktop pattern to the desktop picture. Then all of my icons on my desktop should load.

For some reason, as the icons load, the desktop pattern appears on the screen before the desktop picture appears. This also happens after booting. For example, if I select "About this computer..." and view the info on the screen, when I click to close the window, the desktop pattern is displayed where the window was. Then, finally, the desktop picture fills in the space. This is not at all normal for my G3.

I hope I've explained that well enough. It's as if my Mac can't display the desktop picture fast enough so it first fills in the space with the desktop pattern until the picture is able to display.

Now what's really interesting about this is if I start up Photoshop, the problem goes away! It's too early to tell for sure, but it appears the problem is "fixed" by Photoshop until I reboot again. So something that Photoshop does when it loads is fixing the problem.

I've ran ToolTech Pro and confirmed that everything is working, including my new RAM and the VRAM. I checked everything chip-wise that ToolTech Pro offers a test for, and it all passed. I've zapped and restored my PRAM. I've removed the desktop picture and even changed the pattern. If I have only a desktop pattern, no problem. But the moment I have a desktop picture selected, it happens again.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help!

Edited to add:

I managed to get a couple of pictures showing the problem (thank goodness for digital cameras!). In these pictures, all I did was open and close my hard drive folder. The first picture, I was closing the window. Just as the window disappeared from the screen, you can see the desktop pattern where the window once was. This flashes for a moment, and is then filled in with the desktop picture.
    http://www.vickishome.com/00misc/macgurus/videopic1.jpg

This second picture shows what happens to the hard drive icon when I open it. Look at the red arrow. Notice how the desktop pattern appears as a square instead of the icon. The icon reappears shortly after the window finishes opening.
    http://www.vickishome.com/00misc/macgurus/videopic2.jpg

This problem seems to happen with everything on my desktop until I run Photoshop. After I run Photoshop, everything returns back the way it should be -- even after I've closed Photoshop. Strange!

------------------
    Vicki

Visit my Website!

[This message has been edited by vickishome (edited 09 April 2002).]

Well, maybe I do have a problem with the memory I installed. I've been searching the internet for a fix to the problem I'm having, and I ran across this page. This guy appears to have had the exact same problem when he installed new RAM. Unfortunately, I couldn't find that anyone had answered him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I took delivery last Tuesday of a G3/400 with 128megs of ram in it's stock config and a flat screen Studio Display [LCD?-Mike]. When I initially set it up, I set the company logo as a desktop picture. Fine, works. On Monday, my 4 256meg dimms arrived. Yahoo (or so I thought)! After removing the stock 128meg dimm and installing the 4 256megs, the redraw of the desktop picture and all the icons became highly erractic. Close a window and the background pattern is seen in it's place for almost a second. Once the desktop picture redraws that area, all the icons flicker one by one.

Remove the desktop picture, problem solved. Today, I installed the new Rage drivers from Apple. Put the desktop picture back up. Same issue but the redraw and icon flicker happens faster. Pull the picture, ok.... well, almost. Now the menu bar clock disappears when apps/windows open and close and when you click on the clock to display the date. I haven't watched this last bit long enough to figure out if there is a pattern yet. Anyway, that's it so far.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can anyone help with this? Am I unable to run this new RAM in my Mac?

------------------
    Vicki

Visit my Website!

I've run into the same problem on my G3/Powerbook Lombard - it tends to happen if I have a lot of apps open and then I open something that is memory intensive ie. QuickTime or PowerPoint. It flips into the desktop pattern and then it VERY SLOWLY pops up icons.. The problem seems to go away when I close some apps or reboot. It is tied to RAM somehow.. I can't figure out what it is though

Chris

Hi Vicki,

Just wanted to make sure you knew we weren't ignoring you. You just pose interesting questions.

Wish I had an idea what you have going on. I wonder if a CUDA reset would help? Do an OpenFirmware reset? How bout running XLR8s PowerControl to test ram, with PowerFrax runnng in the back ground.

Biggest thing that comes to mind for me is upgrading your OS to at least 8.6. Can't believe your still on 8.1, I didn't think the Beige even came with 8.1, thought it was 8.5. Not that I know anything.

Just questions, gotta be some sort of software issue though, the way things can come and go really looks like startup order or some sort of faulty NVRAM setting.

Rick

Quick question, what PCI cards do you have installed?

Rick

Could it be that something is loaded into VRAM that isn't supposed to be - (or vice versa) so it's akin to a memory leak??

Chris