Thread: soldering a part onto a circuit board

OK, besides the fact that I am sure most of you will tell me not to do this, I am really left with no choice.

I have a Lexmark Optra M410 laser printer and the USB port has broken off from the controller card inside the machine. I have the broken off USB port and opening up the printer to get access to the controller card is no big deal.

Lexmark and two different service centers have told me that I need to replace the controller card because they can't guarantee that soldering the port back onto the controller card will work. (I can't understand why. It has six contact points, and presuming I make connection with all six, it should be no big deal.) The controller card is 256 bucks from Lexmark. Tack on 100 bucks labor to do the job and I might as well go buy a new HP 1200 with a better resolution, smaller footprint and a one year warranty.

So I bought a low watt soldering iron and plan to try it myself. If I break it, well, then I am really no further behind than before, because right now, all I have is an oversized 500 dollar door stop.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions (or warnings as to utter stupidity)?

-Anthony

If you have "no choice," then obviously you must do it.

If you had to go out and buy a soldering iron, you may wish to practice soldering a bit before you go for the printer.

Soldering is difficult when you have to solder more than one lead at a time, even for people who've known which end of the iron to hold for decades. Modern PC Boards are essentially dipped in trays of liquid metal to solder all parts simultaneously.