Thread: 9500-Bad power supply or daughter card?

I have a 9500 that is a little finicky on starting up. Sometimes on cold starts when I hit the power key, all I get is a click from the power supply, the lights on my PCI cards blink, the fan spins for a second and then nothing, no boot. Then other times, it boots right up. When it does boot up, it will restart no problem. I've tried removing the daughter card, hitting the CUDA, replacing the card and then booting. Sometimes this seems to work, others it doesn't. Could it be the power supply is going or maybe the daughtercard is a little buggy? Or could it be something else? Any advice is appreciated. thanx. J

How do mg72.........

We know your Mac is a 9500, but nothing about the card the RAM the OS additional add ons...etc....

fill in the blanks brother

regards

yes, all that and did you try a new battery? k

Oh yeah, sorry guys. A new battery, works no problem, checked on a meter and it's up to snuff. Stock 604 132MHz. Um, had two 8MB chips when I got it, put in a 64MB and 32MB so far, all EDO (working leftovers from another machine). OS 9.1 with a Voodoo 3 3000(A1), and an Asante 10/100 card(C1) - I've tried swapping slots for both cards, but nothin seems to help. It started fine tonight, but like I said, it's kind of hit or miss. Also, I have 2 1gig SCSI drives in it as well (both are ones I had laying around and did work fine in another machine) until my Miles and 9gig Cheetah come. This issue was there before I put the second 1gig in and I've gone throught the SCSI chain all over to make sure everything was terminated correctly(or not) and had unique IDs. I've also replaced the stock CD with a SCSI CD-R, but again this issue was there before the swap. J

I'm gonna guess flaky memory, Kaye probably can think of a bunch more stuff.

Go over all slot insertions, make sure everything is FULLY seated in it's slot. If no, then.....

Check all your memory out...... use only the 64MB chip and see if the machine behaves normally. If it does, some one or more of the other three sticks of RAM are flaky. If not, pull the 64 and put in the 32 and an 8.... if still not swap the 8's..... etc.... you get the idea...

From your post, it would seem you haven't ever seen this machine run. Have you had it going before?

regards

8's

Yeah, it runs fine when it does run. I've got the motherboard out now and I've tried booting it with just the 32, just the 64, and with just the 2-8's and the same thing happens. It will boot fine once, but when I shut it down and let it sit for maybe 10 minutes, it wont boot back up. Just a click from the power supply and a quick spin of the fan. But if i shut it down and then restart somewhat immediately, it boots back up fine. Again, removing and reseating the CPU card usually does the trick and it will boot fine, but thats getting to be a real pain in the ass. I've removed all connected devices from the internal SCSI as well (besides the HD, of which I've tried 2 different), I even swapped from the fast SCSI to the internal/external and same result. It boots fine after the swap, but then not after it sits shutdown. I got the mac free from where I work, they were junking it so I figured I'd take it and use it. But if it's not readily fixable, I'll just take what works and trash the rest. Besides, I just bought a 9600 off Ebay for $150, so that will take the 9500's place. But feel free to keep trying with advice, this is becoming sort of a crusade for me now, even if i dont end up using it. Thanks. J

It's probably not the CPU card, because the machine should power up, i.e. the power supply should come on and supply power to the drives, even if you have no CPU card installed.

The CUDA chip on the motherboard contains a microcontroller that handles interpreting the ADB keyboard power-on command and will turn on the power supply even with no CPU card and no RAM installed.

I would guess that it is either the power supply as you surmised, or there is something iffy about the circuitry around the CUDA chip which must tie the Power-On line of the power supply to the 5V Trickle line in order to power up the supply. If the CUDA chip is having trouble with that you might get the symptoms you're seeing. If plugging and unplugging CPU card is truly helping (not just a coincidence--it can be very hard to tell) it could just be a bad solder joint, perhaps on the PS connector on the motherboard and pulling and pressing the CPU card, flexes the bad joint enough to get it working again. It could also be a bad solder joint on a pin of the CUDA chip (Apple, 341S0788, about 1" long, 28 pins I think).

It's also possible that the 5V trickle from the power supply is bad (low voltage) and so when the CUDA ties them together the trickle isn't enough to keep the power supply on. After the power supply is actually going, the regular 5V supply would keep the PS on which matches the symptoms you describe pretty well.

If you are handy with such things you might take a voltmeter to the 5V trickle line while the machine is plugged in but powered off and see if the voltage is low. Anything from 4.85V to about 5.1V should be okay, but I'm guessing a bit on the exact range.

I don't remember which line is the trickle but there are two or three articles on XLR8yourmac.com on converting Mac's to ATX power supplies and at least one of them has the pinout for the 9500 power supply (should be the same pinout as the 7500/8500 even though it is a different PS). Note that the 9600 PS has a different pinout. Sometimes the Trickle line is called 5V Stand-By or SB.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Trag, the prcoessor card trick does seem to work intermittently, so as you say, that probably isn't it. It's also worked a couple times when I've unplugged the smaller of the two power supply connectors that attaches to the motherboard. But now it wont boot no matter what I plug or unplug, so I think i may just try and find a power supply on Ebay for cheap money and give that a shot. I'm not familiar enough with electric circuitry to bother with the current PS. Besides, if I did mess with it, I'd probably end up frying something else! Thanks for all the help guys. I'll post back if/when I get a new PS and let you know what happens. Justin

Since the problem apparently worsened when you unplugged and plugged in the power connections, I would look for a cold joint on those connection points. You would need to pull the motherboard to check. Look for a tiny crack around the each pin on the power connections. If you find any, remove the old solder and resolder it.

Again, it could be the power-supply as well. I don't know anything else that would cause this particular problem. Your power supply is shutting down. This would be due to an Overcurrent or Undercurrent situation. Nothing else would do this.

Thanks vegas, I have the whole machine apart right now, connected up on a table since the 9500's are a bitch to take apart every 5 minutes. Any idea if a 200watt PSU from a Quadra 800 would adapt to a 9500(225watt)? I have an 800 collecting dust with a good PSU but I'm not sure if it will work well enough without killing the 9500 logic board. If it is the PSU and not the logic board, I'm going to part the 9500 out on Ebay. But i dont want to sell someone a finicky board or CPU card. thanks. J

If a power supply from a 8500 will work I have one you can have. It says 225 watt, the model # is: DPS-225AB REV: BO
    Apple part#: 614-0038
    Anyway the price is right-(free)!!!
    Stewart

Actually it would Stewart, they are the same PSU. I'mm email you my address. And I'll pay for the shipping of it as well. I REALLY appreciate your help. Thanks!. J

BTW, Q800 PS would not work. I'm not sure if the pinout on the connector matches up, but the Q800 lacks the 3.3V supply line and 3.3V is necessary for some of the components on the 9500.

Thanks Trag. I had a pretty good feeling it wouldnt work. I just figured I'd throw the idea out there since I had the Quadra sitting around. Thanks again. J

First off, I'd like to thank all of you who posted replies trying to help with your advice. It was all greatly appreciated. And secondly, I'd like to give a HUGE shout out to Stewart who renewed my faith in mankind by trusting me by sending a PSU to me for free and he footed the ship charge. All on the blind trust that when I received the PSU, I would send him the amount for the shipping charges. Well, my startup problems are solved. Starts up first try every time. And Stewart, your money is on it's way to you. I threw in a little extra for being so kind and for saving my ass. Thanks again all! Justin

Thanks for reporting back, Justin. It's nice to know how these things turn out.