Thread: Help! Retrospect Execution Error message

Hi all!

Well, I've gotten a new G4 933 here! So far, it's been all headaches. My Seagate Barracude 60 gig drive failed after only about 24 hours of uptime. And to guard against losing my data I quickly upgraded to Retrospect Desktop 5.0. This is NOT the Express version.

I tried a couple of backup sets and I am getting the same error message for both of the sets. They are:

"File 科Operations Log秋: different data size (set: 728, vol: 783), path: 科OS X/Library/Preferences/Retrospect/Operations Log秋.
    File 科system.log秋: different modification date/time (set: 4/21/2002 5:25:22 PM, vol: 4/21/2002 5:49:51 PM), path: 科OS X/private/var/log/system.log秋.
    4/21/2002 5:57:07 PM: 2 execution errors."

"File 科Operations Log秋: different data size (set: 4678, vol: 4733), path: 科OS X/Library/Preferences/Retrospect/Operations Log秋.
    4/21/2002 7:55:39 PM: 1 execution errors."

The first one was a test backup set to my primary drive. The second one was for a backup to my secondary drive. (I installed a second 60 gig drive in case of problems with the IBM Ultrastar that Apple installed to replace the Seagate.)

Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Btw, I have not yet downloaded the updater yet. Will do that tomorrow night I guess.

Hmmm

I also get the odd error in Retrospect but it's usually due to open files on the actual clients. (This is pre-version 5.0). FWIW, I usually ignore those date and time errors since they usually happen during verification and usually refer to preferences or HTTP log files.

From the sounds of it, it looks like it's just that your log file for Retrospect is changing somehow during the back-up.

You can double check your stuff by randomly selecting a file for restoration -

Chris

Thanks Doc. My thinking was that, for the first backup set, since it was being saved on the first HD that when it compared the original files and the backup set, it thought there was a change in data and that, given it took over 10 minutes to back up, that the time had changed enough that it was not the same. Hence, the data and time error.

Backing up to the second HD should have yielded no data errors but maybe a time error. Grrrr...don't want to have to call Dantz...they no longer have free tech support calls!