Thread: Can I boot from Plextor CDRW?

I replaced the original CD-ROM drive in my 7500 with a Plextor CDRW 8/2/20 from Gurus a year or two ago. I've been using CDST as driver, and can't boot from a CD in the current configuraton. Is there any way to enable a CD boot with this drive (OS 9?) Thanks.
    Tom

Should work in one of two ways. One: Insert a OS CD-Rom and Select the Plextor as the boot device in your Startup Control Panel. Two: Start-up while holding down the Command+Option+Control+Delete keys. This tells the computer to startup from any disk besides the current one. This works as long as there isn't any other system folders laying around on other drives.

Hope that's what you were looking for. There is no other keyboard shortcut. By installing a non Apple ROM'd CD-RW you disabled the C key startup.

Rick

Thanks. I'll try method 1 first, as I have a backup system on another HD. What I couldn't figure was that since the CD (probably) won't have a driver for the Plextor, would it still boot even if selected in Startup Disk? If I rename the b.u. system folder on the second HD, will that fool the OS into "missing" it at bootup? I boot from a SoftRaid array normally, but the b.u. is on a single drive. Also, I've been using System Picker to switch boot volumes - Startup Disk doesn't seem to like the Raid at times. Any idea if these methods would also work with S.P?

All this stems from the need to upgrade my OS (9.04-->9.1) and fearing a crash, then no way to boot from anything.... I'd boot from the b.u. HD, install the upgrade onto the Raid, but I don't think the installer gives the option of choosing a different disk.

T

[This message has been edited by TeeH (edited 18 April 2002).]

I think you can pull the finder and unbless the system folder on the backup drive. I don't think renaming it will work, I have a couple of "Previous System Folder" type folders from doing clean installs and the startup drive control panel in OSX will allow me to select them, I have no idea if that will occur in OS9 or not.

Method 1 should always work, method 2 is worth trying anyway. It all depends on ID and bus LUN ID numbers. The boot goes up the ladder looking for system folders to boot from. If the CD-Rom happens to be lower on the totem pole it might get booted from anyway. No guarantees but to give it a try.

I have exactly the same issue on my 8500, Plextor CD and 2 hard drives ith system folders.

Rick

Thanks for the further reply, Rick. I was editing my post below as you were responding to it. Please see below for further explanation of what I'm trying to do.

T

I've never used system picker, sounds like a good utility that I needed a time or two.

If you have a Installer disk in the Plextor when you boot up it will mount regardless of whether you have a driver or not. If you trash your current system folder and boot where there is nothing viable except the CD you will get a flashing question mark folder and then the boot will eventually search out your CD-Rom and load off of it.

You can always test this by just disconnecting power from your hard drives and booting with the CD-Rom as the only device hooked up to your computer. It should work just fine. (I have tested this a couple of times with my Plextor)

Have a good time with the upgrade, should go fine.

Rick

Try this: command+option+shift+delete+SCSI ID # you want to boot from.

Works for me.

OK, just got what I needed with M.Brane's suggestion (though it requires a bit of contortionism to get at all those keys at once.....) I also realized after the fact I probably could've booted from the b.u. drive, as the upgrade install DID allow a choice of disk. Thanks for all the suggestions!

T

If the drive is bootable at all and its SCSI ID is set to 3, it will boot with the 'C' key in an oldworld Mac. A drive has to have the ability to supply the Zeroth track as bootstrap code in order to be bootable. If the drive does not do this, there are no tricks in the world that will make it bootable.