Thread: Upgrading Optical drive on ibook 500

If you could find one from the same iBook series, I doubt that it would be a big issue to swap it into your machine. The trick would be to find the drive though...

Hey all, I have an ibook 500 with a cdrom drive. I am tired of having to carry around a FW cdrw. I would like to know if it is possible to buy a cdrw drive and simply install it in my ibook. (I mean one from a dead ibook or something) Is there any place that would sell that?

thanks in advance

tachyon Guest

the iBook 500 is the white one. They are complete pains-in-the-a$$ to take apart. I dread it each day. Also, who but an Apple shop will be able to sell you one? trust me, you don't want to take a white iBook apart if you don't have to or if you haven't already disassembled several other models of Powerbook.
    They're made by ACER, I believe, like the 4400/7220. Yeccch (to service them).

Wow, is it really that bad to disassemble my ibook? Does anyone know who could do the service for me, I'm in the LA area.

The PowerBookGuy (www.powerbookguy.com) may be able to sell you the drive. Has more powerbook/ibook parts than any place I know of, though I have never dealt with them personally.

It says they do service too... if they are not on the left coast, perhaps you can send the machine to them to install it?

-Anthony

Tachyon's right. All of the iBooks are a pain to disassemble. They actually go back together a lot easier.

If your desperate, and plan a visit a few miles east, you could probably find a kind soul via my email address above that could install it. Note that I don't have the drive though. Finding that is up to you.