Thread: Best way to restart a QS 733

Every now and then my QS 733 freezes. I am so used to the old apple+control+power to force a restart and am wondering what is the best methood on the newer machines.

Randy

Randy,
    Command+Option+Escape will open the Force Quit control panel.

Holding down the power key and waiting will do a shutdown no matter what.

The medium sized button will do a hardware restart, the new world equivalent to CMD+Control+Power in old macs.

Rick

Thought I tried that. Could have missed a button - do it all the time. I have been using the medium button below power.

Thanks - Randy

The safest solution is to use Command-Option-Esc to attempt to force quit the offending application and then restart. This will work as long as the mouse isn't frozen. There are a few situations that will cause temporary freezes that if you just wait a few seconds, the mouse will move again. Usually this would indicate a Network problem.

CMD-CTRL-Power, the Reset button and powering off all have the same result and should only be used as a last resort. The reason is that open files and peripherals are not closed properly and the OS has to do a bit of housecleaning to fix things when restarting. In a frozen mouse situation theres little choice though. If you can replicate the problem, it would be a good idea to use Conflict Catcher to try to locate the offending code.