Thread: horizontal tower

Anyone have any idea why an S-900 can be made to work in the horizontal position only...standing up the case causes a loss of startup chime and no boot...drives and fans show normal activity...The barebones S900 was purchased new with no base on ebay, thus the case is somewhat unstable...I've done everything imaginable troubleshooting drives, ram, pci cards, software, replaced power supply, new battery, tried 3 different processor daughtercards...reset cuda with every change(literally 100s of times) I've given up and ordered a 9500 to migrate stuff to, but I'd really like some other opinions as to whether the logic board is possibly damaged due to "flexure" in the unstable case when I uprighted it. Everything booted and worked well initially after first putting the loaded system together..trouble began upon moving it to a work area and uprighting the case. Any speculation by the experts here would be highly appreciated. Maybe I could learn something important here and my curiousity is killing me...I had a thread going under Vintage Power Mac Step by Step(unzappable pram), but I was mostly talking to myself and learning nothing in the process...Thanks

Your problem is definitely motherboard related. Since the fans and drives power up normally. I would suspect a cold solder joint or broken trace. The only solution is to pull the motherboard and eyeball for the problem. Failing that, resolder the connections at the power headers (The most likely location of a failed solder joint). This process would also remove any tiny wire fragment or such that could be shorting the wrong thing in the upright position.

Thanks for the reply, lasvegas

I've given up on the "new" S900...found a 9500 to move my stuff to and it was a pleasure to work with something which behaved predictably....I miss the extra CD bay in the S900 and the ease of RAM installation, but the case is built like a brick shithouse compared to the Umax....The S900 finally refused to do a thing... isolated it to a very messed up logic board...got some spare parts for my other S900's anyway.....might have a closer look at that board just for enlightenment, wouldn't trust it if it did start working...Thanks again