Thread: photoshop crashes when printing?

Photoshop is making me crazy. I have been working with no trouble. I just made a contact sheet of a big folder of images with the "Contact Sheet II" operation. I go to print the file (17megs) and Photoshop not only hangs, but the whole Mac freezes. I am running a 7300 with G3/400 Sonnet, 670 megs ram, Miles2, OS9.1, and Pshop has 250 megs ram. I upped the memory for the Epson print monitor to 25megs. Same thing happened. I have plenty of room on the scratch disk (2gigs free) and Pshop will print a smaller (5meg image) no sweat. This is crazy! I have printed images way bigger than this before. What gives? Any ideas?

Maybe a corrupted file? What happens if you make a copy of original PS file and try printing that?
    Just a guess..

I thought about that , too. But I made a copy of it and tried again - crash. Then I flattened it and saved as a tif - crash. Then I did a save as jpeg and crash again. Finally, I took the file and opened it up in Graphic Converter and tried again, -crash. Sheesh! Maybe it is the file, but if I can't save it as a new format and print it in another app, even, how the heck do I print the file?

Besides your Epson print monitor, do you have any other print monitor apps in your Extensions folder, such as Desktop PrintMonitor and/or PrintMonitor? You could experiment with upping the memory in one or both of those, or removing. When I was using an HP printer, I remember the installer put an HP PrintMonitor app in the Extensions folder so I had both that and the Apple version PrintMonitor app. I removed the Apple version PrintMonitor and upped memory for the HP PrintMonitor. No need for both in my case.

Also, if you are using Desktop PrintMonitor, is there an extension called Desktop Printer Spooler in the Extensions folder or any other printer spooler extensions or apps? I don't have an Epson, so I don't know what it installs additionally or replaces. I can't see where you would need two print spoolers if Epson also installs one. So many possibilities. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 10 March 2002).]

greg_w

Have you ever successfully printed anything around this size using Exactly the same hardware/software scheme you are using? Perhaps you already have, but I'd be inclined to drop Epson a note with detailed specifics and see what they say.

I run a little shareware util sometimes called Peek-a-Boo when I'm trying to figure out what's hawwwging cpu cycles. It also gives some interesting perspective on ram usage by visible and invisible processes.

[This message has been edited by DHB (edited 10 March 2002).]

Can you print anything at all?

I suppose you could
    put the file up on an FTP site and see if ANYONE else can print this.
    put the file on a ZIP disk and take it to Kinko's (or a local copy center) see if they can print it.
    put it on a ZIP and take it to a friends house.
    boot with a minimum extension set - just enough to work with PSHOP/GCONVERTER and the Epson printer. See what happens.
    trash your printer/epson printer prefs.

Strangley my Office ran into a similar issue. A user could not print an MS Word '97 file (on his PC). He emailed it to everyone and nobody could print this. I was able to print it on my Mac with Office 2000. I eventually saved it out in a WordPerfect format and he was able to get most of it.

------------------
    The Cost Of Freedom:
    Every bit of energy.
    Every ounce of courage.
    Every drop of blood.

what version of ps? If 6, have you upgraded to 6.01? Did you run the "contact sheet" with text option turned on? if so turn it off and see what happens? also try running it with a small dpi like around 10 just to see if its a memory thing or if its a corupt file. also try saving the file as a photoshop pdf and opening it in acrobat reader to see if it prints. you can also try printing it to a "file' and see if you get a postscript error.

Boy this is weird.
    I am using Pshop 6.0.1/250megs ram. The Mac has 670 total Ram running OS9.2. I am using an Epson PhotoEX. I took the file over to my 6500 and opened it up on Photoshop 5.0.2. Printed to the same Epson and all was fine. Then I took it back to the 7300 and tried it on Photoshop 5 and crash. Then I tried it on the same machine with Photoshop 3 - crash. Then I reinstalled P6 and tried - crash. Reinstall the Epson driver - crash. Now I can print out of other apps to the Epson from the 7300.

I am baffled.
    Other things I did: Zapped Pram, rebuilt desktop.

The whole configuration: 7300/G3 400/670ram/miles2 with an Atlas 10k 9.1gig/Barracuda 4.5 gig on built in scsi internal/IXMicro ult rez video/XLR8 USB card/ZIP 100 external (scsi)/LaCie CD-R/UMax Powerlook III.

I have not added any hardware and did not install any software recently.
    Oh wait, I did install the trial of InDesign 2.0 and that added Adobe PS 8.6 over 8.5 and upgraded from Freeway 3.1 to 3.5 which dropped the need for GX Graphics but added Carbon Lib 1.5 . Could that be it?

OK, with the last post in mind I disabled Adobe PS 8.6 and turned on 8.5.1 - no change. Then I turned off carbon lib 1.5 and same result.

DHB - yes I have printed many times and much larger files. That utilitiy Peek A Boo sounds interesting. Version Tracker?

TM311 - I did have the text option on but I was printing it flattened, so any font trouble should not be an issue since it was rendered, right?

Any other ideas?

Did you try it using laserwriter 8? you may have a corruted drive now with 8.6. I might try installing 8.7 after pulling out all the old adobePS stuff from the printing pref folder and the printer extension folder. I would guess that Indesign could have caused a meltdown someplace. I am guessing that since you started having troubles you have tried printing other things with success?

greg_w...

Here's the url for Peek-a-Boo>> www.clarkwoodsoftware.com

problem solved but...I too have FPM memory (2 x 128 from the gurus) running in a 9600 with no trouble. Even got the fsb to 52.

Oh man, I am absolutely at my wits end with this. I wound up reinstalling everything again and slowly putting back the pieces. I was able to print something last night that I scanned. Wonderful! Then today, I scanned something else and come to find that some of the files the scanner software uses were damaged, so I reinstalled. Tried to print and back to square one!

My first idea was to disable all the extensions the scanner installed, but no change! What is the deal? The scanner is a UMax Powerlook III and I am running UMax's Magic Scan software version 4.5.

HELP!

Hi Greg,
    What do the utilities say? Have you run DW, Norton on the drives? Any problems come up? Could be some directory corruption....or maybe just a badass and thorny extension conflict. Or a true PS bug-

George

Well that MagicScan 4.5 is the latest. Perhaps download it again in case what you have is corrupted http://www.UMAX.com/download/index.jsp k