Thread: ColorSync 20" Dying

I purchased a refurbished Apple 20" ColorSync about a year ago. The monitor had been having some weird localized miniature shaking issues that I never payed attention to before. But now I think I know why it was doing that. Yesterday, the display became horizontally squished, and using the controls on the front of the monitor cannot compensate for such a large change in geometry. I can run low resolutions (640x480 and 832x624) although they are all squished. Higher resolutions just look like garbage. I was reading around on the Apple support boards, and it seems that this is a problem with the deflector board dying. Does anyone here know if that is what is actually wrong? And also, does anyone know how much it would cost to get something like that fixed if it's not under warranty. At this point I'm trying to weigh out whether it would be better to get the monitor fixed or to buy a new monitor (with 20" monitors the choice isn't as clear). Thanks for any help and advice.

[This message has been edited by ICCAFSN (edited 01 April 2002).]

ColorSync - wanted one desperately, once I got one, had trouble with two of them. Ended up with 19" for ~$300. A lot of good choices. ViewSonic has a P225f that is $775 22" I've been eying if I don't go for LCD 18-19".

I'd chalk it up to a bad experience rather than chase good money after bad. Sorry, they do seem to have a "self-destruct" button!

Gregory

You might try an hour or two reading through the monitor section in http://www.repairfaq.org . There might be something about that specific problem and monitor in there, or not. Keep in mind that often several different brand and models of monitor are actually the same. So solution to your problem might be in the description of a Sony monitor problem. I think Sony made Apple's trinitrons.

You could also post a message to sci.electronics.repair and/or comp.sys.mac.hardware.video. If you're lucky Steve Bell will reply. He's a British fellow who seems to know about many of the Mac monitors.

[This message has been edited by trag (edited 04 April 2002).]

I looked through that site briefly, and while I could understand some things, there were a lot of components and stuff I'm not too familiar with. Not being an electrical engineer, the thought of zapping myself with a couple 100 volts of electricity trying to service a monitor myself isn't too appealing. I've actually found a reasonable solution however. Being in the midwest, I've found a store that services monitors for a flat rate (depending on the size of the monitor). For my ColorSync 20, it would cost ~$200 unless some major component is totally defective and needs to be replaced. Furthermore (and here's the best part in my opinion), the store gives you a limited 1-year warranty on the monitor after the repair.