Thread: dead HD?

I have a 500mhz powerbook running OS9.1. It frose and now refuses to find the 12GB internal HD. I've looked for the HD booting from the system CD and nothing, so reformating it is out of the question. Tried zapping the PRAM and gone as far as removing the drive and reseating it.

Does anyone have any fresh ideas on how to "find" the HD or where I can find one at a reasonable price ????

You could give some more sophisticated disc utilities a try, if you have access to them, but you have probably just experienced the fate of the short lived computer component. I have two of the Apple 12 GB Powerbook drives and one of them gave it up after only a few months use. Unfortunately it had been pulled in favour of a larger capacity drive and was two years old, although sitting on the shelf all that time. So, look at this as a signal to treat yourself to a large drive, or if you want 12 GB, check ebay for used ones.

I'd invest in a backup FW drive, Norton and Disk Warrior (Norton SystemWorks 2.0 comes with both now). Boot from Disk Warrior. you can purchase it online from Alsoft www.alsoft.com