Thread: Help! Beige G3 MT No Startup brief chime

Hi, I need Help! I'm having a problem w/my Beige G3 MT& starting up. Saturday my wife said it wouldn't start for her, I tried the usual keyboard start & there was a brief (about 1 sec.) chime & then nothing. No hard drive spinning, no fans running, no sound at all. Tried the pwr button on the case & same results. Checked all connections on motherboard, pulled & reseated the ROM, voltage regulator, Reset the Cuda switch & Reset the motherboard. Also unplugged & reconnnected all ribon cables. Checked for voltage @ extra drive power plugin & had voltage for as long as the chime, about 1 sec. Couldn't get an exact amount as it was so brief. I was getting frustrated Sat. so I left it alone & this morning decided to try some more things. I checked for volts @ pwr button plug in on motherboard and had about 2.7mV. I pulled the Pwr Supply out & R& all connectors, checked the fuse-OK. And checked for 110 on the board which it had. Also tried different power cord & outlets-no change. Then I was going to see if I could get an exact volt reading on the extra pwr plugins & the second time I pushed the pwr buttton on the case it started.
    I let it run for a few minutes & tried to start again w/button & no go, then used keyboard & it started. I'm glad it's going, but I would like to have what ever part is acting up on hand when it fails to start again, Any Ideas?? I was thinking maybe the Power Supply itself??? Only because the monitor works on it's on outlet fine (lights up) and the very brief chime sound & then absolutely no other noise from the Beige. Any ideas anyone???

Thanks,
    Nemi

O.K. - Odd thought since we had a similar problem. What else is on that circuit that you are plugged in?. Could it be that you're trying to pull too much through the powersupply that it's taxing your circuit (but not enough to blow the breaker)?

In my case, it was a case of having several power bars all powering up computers and monitors all off the same circuit. Adding one more lamp and while there was power, it couldn't draw enough current to start-up... You can get 110V, but not enough amperage..

oh wait - you did try a different outlet.... interesting...what sort of stuff are you trying to power up off that power supply?. Is it driving lots of internal peripherals?. Maybe a drive is starting to go and it's pulling too much current on boot...

Chris

Chris, as far as the things on the same circuit: I'm using a Tripp-Lite 2400 Line conditioner w/6 plugins. I have the G3 MT, Mitsu DiamPro 2020u Monitor, Cisco BR900 cable modem, Epson 1200U Perfection scanner, & an Epson Stylus 1270 Printer plugged into the Tripp-Lite. I use the Tripp lite as I don't trust the wirring in our house & it's supposed to supply or limit voltage as needed. When this 1st happened there was nothing turned on or being used in the house on that circuit. Wife was just trying to start the Beige (cable modem was only thing already on, printer & scanner were off).
    As far as other items: I have 2 IBM 75GXPs connected to a VST Soft RAID PCI card, Yamaha 2300 Atapi CDRW, UltraPlex 40 SCSI CD ROM, Floppy, ProFormance 3/32MB Graphics card & an xlr8 USB PCI card, 512MB RAM & NewerTech 500MHz processor upgrade.
    As far as trying other outlets, yes tried different outlets on another circuit & also different power cord.
    Chris, I think that covers everything you asked about, if not let me know & Thanks for the Help!

Nemi

How about the battery? Location is at the bottom of this diagram http://www.macgurus.com/beta/mbppcg3mini.html

Remember that a no load voltage test may not tell you what voltage the battery has for power up. k

Kaye, I'll be changing the battery as I'm not sure how old it is. But could you or someone explain to me how it figures into the Startup procedure-I'd like to understand more of how things work in the Beige? Thanks for the suggestion!

Nemi

Nemi,

Most, but not all Macs, require a battery of sufficient voltage to get the startup process going. The battery also retains a whole variety of info in PRAM and NVRAM. One of those info items is date and time so if you startup and date/time are wrong, battery is going down. But sometimes there is no such warning and the machine just won't start without sufficient battery voltage.

Your Beige G3 battery is 3.6V Lithium. Radio Shack has that battery, #23-026, 3.6V, 850mAh, Lithium, about $10, and probably by the same manufacturer, Tadiran, as the one in your Beige G3. All of my Macs and compatibles use the same battery and came with the Tadiran, even my G4-800DP. Typically last 3-5 years for me. I don't know your Beige G3, whether it just takes the battery, or whether it needs the battery with leads. There should be a cover with an opening over the battery that needs to be removed to gain access to the battery. Take the battery with you to compare. k

Kaye, Thanks for the info! Once I take the Blk. cover off, the battery just pulls out, no wires. I did this in the process of Resetting the Logic Board while searching for the "No Start" problem.
    I have another question regarding the Beige-do you or anyone else know if there's a PC Power Supply that will work in the Beige? Or does anyone know if the 20 pin connector on the motherboard is the same as a PC? Tried to search for schematics, but so far have only found ones for older Macs.
    Kaye, appreciate all the Help you & the others have given me @ this forum. I continue to supply this URL to other Mac users who need quality parts or Help for their Macs. Thanks To All!
    Nemi