Thread: unlocking disk

hi. been fooling with these things for years (still wintel, gasp!) and have reciently aquired a power computing platforms in various configurations. to the point: the cream appears to be a power center pro 180 but the disk is (system file) locked and i can't unlock it! can't uncheck lock (greyed out), can't low level format---stuck. many idiotic partitions but with an external scsi device i can recover most, i hope, of the sotware. while i'm holding forth, this appears to be an exellent canidate for upgrade but would like a rescource for the best path and a manual would be nice.

------------------
    dbmorse@hotmail.co
    m

OK - Not sure if you are talking floppy, HD or what. Normally you should be able to do the simple unlock on the HD - if that is the case. Coming from the Windows world you would know that floppies can be locked and locked permantenly (no tab to move back) so that shouldnt be the case.

What is the HD formatted with?
    What tools are you trying to use to format the drive?
    you should still be able to backup any important data/files/etc....

Apple Drive Setup is fairly versatile and stable. I dont remember the older ones much, but the newer ones (included with the Mac OS) 8.6 and up are damn good. You can download the latest version from Apple's website (for 9.1 I think). Since you have a clone your HD might be crap and it also might be formatted with FWB

Not that all clone HDs are crap (or were crap) but sometimes they didnt put the best drives in there (well Apple didnt either) and of course being cloners the Apple system software (drive setup) might not be compatible with it. There is also the issue that FWB 'takes over' the HD like the Mafia (or MS) so other formatting tools (well mainly apples) does not work. You can get around this buy purchasing the newest version of FWB - I hear its pretty good but probably overkill for what you do. Or you could get IntechSpeed Tools - they may still have a free trial - then you could format with Apple's software. There are some other oddball tools you could use... but its late and I'm tire.

------------------
    The Cost Of Freedom:
    Every bit of energy.
    Every ounce of courage.
    Every drop of blood.

hi. yea, i was tired when i posted so...

its a hdd and unknown tools used to format drive. sys file is locked and in strange place; lock box is greyed out. have tried everything apple could throw at it, even a low-level, no go. sigh. am willing to give up all the software on the disk (seagate hawk) at this time to recover disk. suspect one or more of the tools in resident on disk are/is causing problem.

if you think of anything else do tell.

thanks and such, be at peace.