Thread: network troubleshooting

Hi,

I own a Powercenter Pro 210 and trying to set up ADSL.
    How can I check in OS 8.5 if my network card is working? Are
    there tools available? Can I ping localhost, or how does this work?

Thanks!
    yuri.

Check your TCP/IP connection and see if your ethernet port is there - and if so, then enter all the network info that you need to log on to your ISP.

Usually your ISP provides you with a setup package that does all the dialing in etc.

An alternative that many of us have used is to purchase a DSL router. You can program it via its built-in WWW server to connect via the ADSL modem to your ISP (you basically provide it with all the PPPoE information). If then set it up as a DHCP server, you can then plug all your machines into the router and tell them to get their network IP address via DHCP.
    HTH

Chris

Hiya,

I have installed and configured my Dialup using the ISP installer softwear, with PPPoE.
    My connection is fine, on my PC it worx. On my Mac (os8.5) when I dial over ADSL, it sits there and 'waits' and after 30 seconds it comes up with something like "your connection has unexpectly quit" It seems like when I dial it 'looks' for the Modem (ethernet card driver PPPoE) and just sits there, I don't think it even connects over the card. I'm getting pissed off, wanted to download YDL this weekend

regards,
    yuri.

Hmm - that's odd...

Is your TCP/IP connection set to connect out your Ethernet port?

Can you tell (from the lights on your ADSL modem) that it's talking to the modem?. and that the modem is trying to talk as well???

Chris