Thread: Type 10 error message

Have Power Computing Power Center, PwrLgx 400/200, 224 MB RAM, 18G Seagate Barracuda, OS 8.6 in one partition, works great. No hiccups.

Other partition installed OS 9.0.4 HFS+ format. Quite a few freezes. Updated to 9.1 Fewer freezes, but now getting "type 10 error. Restart your computer". Ran Disk Doctor several times, but still get this and some freezes.

Virtual memory on or off, makes no difference.

This is a new HD, with the same ID and termination setting as the one it replaced. Since the 8.6 partition works flawlessly, what's with the OS 9.x partition and these hiccups?

Any 3rd party extensions installed with the Mac OS 9 partiton?
    Is the software and/or extensions updated for Mac OS 9.1?
    Specifically is the Power Logix software updated for 9.1?

Type 10 errors went away (for the most part) with Mac OS 8.1 (maybe even 8.0).

From Apple Error Codes '98
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>ID=09 and ID=10 Line 1010 & 1111 Trap
    There are many routines in the Macintosh ROM that can be called by placing instructions in a program that aren't in the 68000's vocabulary. When the 68000 encounters such an instruction, it looks it up in the instruction table. This table gives the location of routines paired with each instruction. If it finds an entry in the table for the instruction, it branches to the routine. If there's no entry for the instruction, you see one of these errors<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    The Cost Of Freedom:
    Every bit of energy.
    Every ounce of courage.
    Every drop of blood.

I Installed OS 9.04 from the CD. Installed (not drag-drop) drivers for USB (latest) FW (latest) Video (latest), Stuffit 5.1.2 and Expander 6.0, CharisMac Anibus (FW). Browsed with the IE 4.5 and NS 4.7 that came with the OS. Nothing else in the volume. Have had the CPU upgrade about 2 months (new). Got freezes often, primarily when browsing. Had no apps to do much else.

The PCI cards are XLR8 MachFire, Siig USB 4 port, iXMicro UltimateRes 8MB. All functions work perfectly with 8.6.

Downloaded 9.1 via the 8.6 HD directly into the OS9 HD. Installed. A little better. Type 10 error and freezes. Used Disk Doctor on OS 9 HD while in 8.6 HD. Found a bunch of "..off, should be on", and vice versa. Fixed all. Much better, but still get them.

Installed Intech HD ST and CD ST. No change... same freezes and 10 errors. Maybe 3 an hour(was 6-8 b/4 Disk Doctor).

Forgot to add that CPU is o'clocked to 440/220. This SCSI-CPU combo runs at about 84 degrees F when pushed, about 5 deg. cooler than the orig. 1G HD (I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer sensor resting on the heat sink).

Have (both new purchases) Norton SystemWorks and Disk Warrior in the 8.6 HD, but not in 9.1. Have not looked for CPU updates. Didn't think I needed to for such a recent purchase. Will do so. Thanks for the suggestion.

Am I spoiled by 8.6?

First paragraph in last post is misleading. The new CPU ran fine with the old 8.6 HD, and runs fine with the week-old SCSI barracuda, in 8.6. The only problem s occur in the OS 9 partition (HFS+). I think I've confessed everything I know now.

Found NO extension for the CPU!!! The latest is there now. We'll see if I can get through this posting without a hiccup. If this fixes or does not fix the problem, I'll report back.

Thanks dragon. Just when you think you've done everything by the book, you find out there's a page missing, or you're using the wrong book.

Tonight I've had the rare opportunity to use the Mac for 3 straight hours. No more freezes or type 10 errors! Smooth as silk.

Take a bow, Dragon, and accept my thanks.

Thanks dragon. Just when you think you've done everything by the book, you find out there's a page missing, or you're using the wrong book.

The Devil is in the details - always. They never tell you this in the marketing campaigns. I guess everything works prefectly for them?

The only thing I would have done differently is to install the 9.1 update right after the 9.04 clean install. I also turn off the ATI extensions - since even if you have the card they seem to cause problems. If you download the drivers from the ATI site they seem to work better...

Glad it works now. Thanks accepted.

Hey d-x, your good.

Rick

Had one single failure since I last posted. That did not cause a Force Restart, just a restart. I'm very pleased with dragon's fix. Have not touched the ATI extensions. Don't know what they are. Given my current success, should I make that change, or wait to try that if I start to have problems?

Great place, this.

I have always gone after latest, greatest extensions to achieve stability with speed. Never be afraid of at least checking ATI, your utility developers, printers? big upgrade possibilities with printer software, PCI card manufacturers- especially firmware. So on.

When I have any kind of instability in the past, with OS9 and earlier, I would start over. Clean install, which you've already done, and new drivers,extensions, firmware checks on every piece of hardware I own. This can take awhile but is WELL worth it.

Don't forget to upgrade your software the same way. When you upgraded the OS yopu may have left behind one of your programs that to be compatible with OS9.1 need to be upgraded.

VersionTracker.com is searchable for most every one of the above mentioned issues. You can have the most stable computer around by getting software that plays well together.

Rick

The only apps I had in that drive were native to the OS install. I don't add anything, ever, until I have a stable OS functioning. I then add them one at a time, testing well before the next app is installed. This process is slower, but much easier to trouble-shoot. Since I didn't "install" the CPU after partitioning the new HD, I forgot about the s/w that came with the CPU, and that was installed at that time.

For the nonce, (look it up), I plan to install only those apps that need OS 9. Any Utilities I want in 9 be downloaded directly into or installed into that partition. It's too easy to leave out something using drag/drop.

I think that I will print out the Sys. Folder, the Extensions, and the Preferences each time I install/ update something, especially if there is no Install Log produced. I will at least create a SimpleText install log.

Where do I find out what an ATI is? Didn't see one in my extension folder. Maybe just didn't recognize it.

ATI is the Graphics card and extension manufacturer/developer. If you have a ATI graphics card you can check with ATI to update your software at ati.com.

Apple System Profiler is your easiest route to recording current hardware/extensions/control panels/apps-versions and all. It has a save command that will record all current everythings.

You say you never install anything until you achieve stability, what's causing your freezing then, just the finder? Or the installed Internet Exploder or Netscape? Whatever you were running at the time could have the problem built in with your computer model requiring modification/upgrading. Even Disk Doctor.

BTW,I prefer to use simpler words like 'at this time' in place of fancies like 'nonce' in case any windows users are attempting to read our posts.

Rick

The freezes were apparently caused by my failure to install the s/w that came with the CPU upgrade in the new HD. It was installed in the old HDs because that's all I had when I got it. AT d_x's suggestion, I looked for it in the new HD, and it wasn't there. Installed it, and haven't had a freeze since.

Sorry about the nonce business. Didn't reread what I wrote. Didn't think about how others might read it.

"
    BTW,I prefer to use simpler words like 'at this time' in place of fancies like 'nonce' in case any windows
    users are attempting to read our posts."
    Thanks ricks!First good laugh I had all day!

Hey grandpa,

If we can't have fun makin' fun......

No apologies, seemed like an easy target for a laugh.

Rick
    Usually it's the joke on me.

Glad to hear I really didn't offend anyone. Anyway, the problem is solved, thanks to this Forum. Haven't had a freeze in so long, I forgot the symptoms. (Senior memory problems)

Off to start a new thread called "Router hiccups".