Thread: Great way to start the day (not)

(sigh)...

(1) Retrospect says "Insert a new tape - current one is erased" - Uh oh - bad sign since the VXA tape that was in there was a current member of a set.. Eject the tape - along with 3" of it hanging out

(2) Restart back-up - ASIP server isn't there under TCP/IP.. Hmm - go and check the volumes using SoftRAID - Double uh-oh - my main RAID 1 volume has "failed"...

(3) Try using DiskWarrior to fix it - it gets to the point of rebuilding the directory and then it simply disappears off the screen.. Computer is still running (sort of)

(4) Now rebooting off a Norton SystemWorks disk - the actual Users drive is still there and accessible so I suppose that's the benefit of a RAID 1 - (whew - my students will thank me immensely)

and yes - that tape that was munched - that was my daily back-up of my server BUT - I do have the weekly back-up set still sitting here so I can restore if necessary although it would appear that I have lost a couple of days of stuff.

(sigh)

Ughhh

Chris

Following up on this...

Any suggestions on how to create a redundant server system that would contain all the same information, mirrored, and in sync so that if I run into this problem again, all I do is simply reset the IP address to that of the mirror server and there's no problem?

That way I can take my down system off-line, fix it, and not suffer the wrath of irate students milling around my office - or - in the case of one student in particular - spending the whole day "working away on my poster / presentation" when the server that had all of his data was off-line - an amazing feat if you ask me...

Thanks

Chris

Chris - I wish I had a cule how to help you - you have helped me a lot. This is just way beyond me.

After working as an administrator of a college for 15 years - I can feel for you when you tell the students it is the computer. They never seem to believe it.

Good luck
    Randy

Hey Chris,

I gotta try some of this stuff. I asked how, and here's the answer I got back:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">OSX or 9?

If Mac OS X, then what I said before wrt. NFS servers (like the NetApps
    Filer) with snapshots and snap-clone servers applies directly. It's
    for this very purpose that this is done. We handle a million-and-a-half
    users on a pair of matched pairs of Filers and have "lost" one -- either
    disk racks or a server "head" -- and failed over to the other with no
    loss of content and minimal disruption.

That is, half our user base is on one pair of Filers, the
    other half on the other. Four filers in two "main-snap"
    mirrored configs cross-wired such that either head in a pair
    can run all the disks under either.

diskset 1
    head 1 &lt; &gt; head 2
    diskset 2

Normal: head 1 serves diskset 1 to the NFS clients.

Alts: head 1 serves diskset 2 while diskset 1 is repaired

head 2 serves diskset 1 while head 1 is repaired

head 2 serves diskset 2 because we lost both head 1
    and diskset 1 (or need to do maintenance on
    the stack of head 1 and its diskset)

Clone the above for the other 50% of our users.

If for Mac OS 9, I'd be tempted to take the same approach, mount it on
    a Sun Solaris server, and serve the ASIP (AppleShare IP) volumes with
    Xinet's KSHARE daemon or an analogue. I believe that a Mac OS X host,
    perhaps running Mac OS X Server rather than the base product, can
    be the bridging host between the NFS server (NetApps Filer) and the
    ASIP environment directly, but am not positive and am concerned that
    the filesystem via NFS would be Unix UFS not Mac HFS+ (I haven't
    tried it).

The above is a considerable chunk of change to deploy. The next
    suggestion can be done on (nearly) any budget at all...

Alternative: as in my earlier message, hardware-RAID the Extended FS
    on a Mac server with a spare nearby. Lose the main? unplug the
    external RAID, connect to the spare, reset the spare's TCP/IP CP
    and AppleTalk identity (in File Sharing CP, I think) and the clients
    won't know anything's changed except an outage while you moved the
    RAID and made the spare appear as the main server identity. Remember
    to give the original main server the spare's TCP/IP and AppleTalk
    identities before you bring it back up on the net.</pre>

RAID5 from manufacturers like Fantom Drives or ATTO are available cross platform.

Rick

[This message has been edited by ricks (edited 20 February 2002).]

Hi there

Thanks for the advice - I'll take a look.. I was able to get the RAID 1 back - SoftRAID rebuilt the mirror and all seems well - the tape drive is hosed so I have a call in on an RMA for it - Students didn't really notice that much today as I caught it early enough

Now, on the other hand, I spent a good 6 hrs trying to trouble shoot an Windows SQL server system - Good grief - NT permissions vs SQL permissions, ughhhhhh

Chris

hi.. I like the hardware RAID idea - I was looking at the RaidWeb servers a while ago. My actual RAID is actually an external Burly box with 4 drives in it...

So...the question I have then

Would I be buying TWO hardware RAID boxes - identical size / configuration and then setting them up as RAID 5 or whatever. Hook those two drives up to my Mac and set up SoftRAID to mirror those two virtual RAID volumes?.

Is that feasible?.

Chris

Chris,

I'll check in on that and see. Seems like the cheapest recommendation was a single RAID5 NFS with 2 servers backing each other up. I don't know if you need to snap mirror 2 file sytems or not, way beyond my experience. So I will ask.

Ya know, the winders experience your acquiring could lead to early brain death. The worst part is, 94% of the computer users of the world would never notice.

Rick

[This message has been edited by ricks (edited 20 February 2002).]

Hi Rick

Thanks...I read the note a bit more closely - the suggestion under OS 9 was to have two server computers - one as master, and one as slave - all the data is on the external RAID box - if the server computer dies, you unbolt the box and simply move it over to the other computer.. I get it - that's a good idea.. I ALMOST did that today - I would have been able to swap out my drive and simply relocate it to another box (I have another 7300 and a PTP both equipped with Miles2 drives).. The issue would in fact involve somehow setting up a secondary ASIP server.. I think you can actually do this - I may have to do some more digging...

Chris

Chris,

You got it. Set up your second ASIP server as a Backup Host (not a slave running real time).

Lose the main server: Move the raid over to the backup, configure the backup host to take over the network identity of the (down) main, set-up its
    ASIP (with keys if needed), and you're back on the air while you figure out how to fix the ex-main.

Rick

Thanks Rick

I'll try it out when I get back - I'm in San Francisco right now at a meeting

Chris

Hey Chris,

Drive on down. Your only about 45 minutes away after all.

Have a good trip.

Rick

Hi Rick

Opps - sorry I missed your message - I caught the red-eye back from SF last night (Wed) and got into Toronto at 6:30 am.. and then went to work..

While I was away, everything stayed up and running so I make have dodged a bullet (again)..

I'll have to dig around and see if I can find a cheap beige G3 box that I can set up as the spare ASIP server (actually - hmm - maybe I'll grab one of the remaining G4/533 Digital Audio's that's at the book store and use it as the main ASIP server and use the existing one as the back-up.. I'd need to move my Miles 2 card over but I'd still be using OS 9.2.2 so.. (wonder how ASIP likes running under 9.2 vs 9.0.4 that it's under now..))

Chris