Thread: PM 7200/90 added IBM DCHS-04U w/curious start

I purchased an IBM Ultrastar 2XP (4.5G UW Fast 20, 68 PIN -- "DCHS-04U") to add to the stock 500M on a PM 7200/90. Bought the Grappler 5275 (68-50 Pin IDC), installed in the second bay. Jumpered 11-12, 29-30, ID0 (set stock drive to ID2). Formatted the DCHS-04U as single partition, HFS+. Installed OS9.1. Set up DCHS-04U as Start-Up. Seems to work, however, after cold start, it starts to the stock drive. Sys Profiler says startup is OS9.1 (second drive), and after warm restart, it starts up to second drive.

Where, oh mighty 'gurus, am I going wrong?

Herb

Herb,

There could be a couple of issues here, both relating to termination. Your stock 500M, is it physically last on the chain and still terminated? Also the Grappler 5275, does that converter terminated the upper pins, 51 thru 68? Is it set to do that or can it? The upper pins must be terminated. Your termination on the 50-pin 500M will not terminate the upper pins.

Your jumpers look correct, unless the 2XP is physically last on the chain rather than the 500M. Then the 500M TE jumper must be removed, the TE pins must be jumpered on the 2XP, and that Grappler does not need to provide termination on the upper pins and shouldn't.

So it really depends on the physical order of your drives. k

k,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I opened the PM 7200/90, swapped the stock drive and the 2XP, after un-jumping the TE on the stock drive and jumping 13-14 on the 2XP ("Enable Active Termination"). Closed the PM 7200/90 and started it up. It still cold-booted to the stock drive (and after restart booted to the 2XP).

I don't know about the Grappler, other than the advert "SCA 80 to 68/50 Pin SCSI Drive Adapters w/Active Termination" -- I don't know if it's automatic or some magic to do the termination other than jumping TE pins on the 2XP.

Also, do I need to press the CUDA button on the board?

TIA, Herb

k, Thanks for the quick reply!

I opened the PM 7200/90, swapped the stock drive and the 2XP, after un-jumping the TE on the stock drive and jumping 13-14 on the 2XP ("Enable Active Termination"). Closed the PM 7200/90 and started it up. It still cold-booted to the stock drive (and after restart booted to the 2XP).

I don't know about the Grappler, other than the advert "SCA 80 to 68/50 Pin SCSI Drive Adapters w/Active Termination" -- I don't know if it's automatic or some magic to do the termination other than jumping TE pins on the 2XP.

Also, do I need to press the CUDA button on the board?

TIA, Herb

You could try a Cuda Reset, machine shut down, press and hold the button for at least 30 seconds. I use a large toothpick, the blunt end.

The Grappler, "SCA 80 to 68/50 Pin SCSI Drive Adapters w/Active Termination", sounds like the wrong adapter/terminator. Sounds as if it is meant to connect either 68-pin or 50-pin cable to an SCA 80 drive. But I don't know for sure and can't find the Grappler 5275 on the OrangeMicro web site. k

It sounds to me like your entire problem is the IBM Ultrastar 2XP drive. Is that the drive with the copper strips running over the surface? If so, these drives where designed for hot-swapping in large servers. They were never intended for use in personal computers. They have a built-in 10 second startup delay that cannot be disabled. This causes the drive to no be ready when the computer is initially looking for it.

There are two solutions to this problem. First, you could max out your computer's memory. The added time to check all of that memory on a cold startup may give enough time for the drive to come up to speed (Ready mode). The other solution would be to move the drive into an extenal case and startup the drive before starting the computer.

To all, forgive my double posting. Rookie mistake....

k, I'll try the CUDA reset, and let you know.

I ordered the Granite 5275 -- not Grappler -- from http://www.transintl.com/ -- apologies for the confusion.

lasvegas, Yes, I believe the 2XP has the copper strips.

Thanks all, Herb

OK, the Granite GD5275 is the correct adapter/terminator described as GD5275 68-pin Drive to 50-pin IDC Connector w/Active Term. Note that the "w/Active Term" means that the GD5275 will terminate the upper pins only, not the lower 50-pins. So whichever drive is at the end of the chain will need to have its TE pins jumpered.

To get ID0, you have no jumpers on any of the ID pins, right? What jumpers you do have installed are all vertically oriented. For Auto start you have jumpered pins 11 and 12 (just to the right of the blank space where pin 9 would be if there were one) and verified with a magnifying glass that the pins protude from the jumper. You have jumpered pins 29 and 30 for Disable unit attention. If the last drive on the chain, pins 13 and 14 jumpered for Enable active termination.

Try jumpering pins 25 and 26 for Disable sync negiations and pins 27 and 28 for Disable SCSI parity

lv,

I have two 2XP's, both the 9GB version, DCHS-09W, both with the braided copper strip (IBM had a lot of drives then with that strip), one purchased from IBM, and nowhere on their website then nor in any of my docs does it mention server application on these 2XP 68-pin drives. Nor is there any mention of a builtin 10 second startup delay unless you apply a jumper to select a delay. What is listed is a nominal (for the 9GB) startup of 1.5sec (same for his 4.5GB) and spinup time of 11 sec (9 sec for his drive) with no delay in between. There is an 80-pin SCA version of this drive, but it is jumper selectable whether or not you want that 10 sec delay or not, certainly not disable proof. You must be thinking of another drive because I used my 2XP's as boot drives in my two NuBus Power 120's attached to NuBus JackHammers with 200MB RAM for years without the boot problem.

However I still don't have a clue why he can only reboot into his 2XP system folder. I do know that my 2XP's are fast starters. They are ready when the Mac clone is ready. k

Not that I remember what the model number was, but I had one of those IBM drives with an adapter that would only occasionally mount on startup. I always had to use FWB Mounter to use the drive.

I eventually tried a jumper in the, I believe, motor start or start enable, something like that. That fixed it. This was one of the copper band 4.5gig IBMs that I used to keep my tacos warm with in the top slot of my 8600.

Rick

All, Many thanks....

Checked jumpers across 11-12, 13-14 & 29-30. All vertical, all seated.

Press CUDA (30+ seconds). Cold started --> stock disk.

Jumped 25-26, cold started --> stock disk.

Added jumper 27-28, cold started --> stock disk.

Removed 25-26 & 27-28, jumped 30-31 (Disable Wide Negotiations), cold start --> stock disk.

Added 25-26, cold start --> stock disk.

I guess I could just use the stock disk as the boot (giving up...) as the system and leave apps and docs on the 2XP. I could also write a startup Applescript for the stock disk to restart to the 2XP. While the former is a little more elegant than the later I would expect both to work. The option that lv suggested (externalize 2XP and power it up first) would probably do the trick, too. I guess I ought to also just physically take out the stock drive and see what happens, too.

Herb

After you started up each time during those tests, did you check the Startup Disk control panel to see which drive was highlighted as the startup disk? k

I purchased one of those drives off of ebay. My experience with it was that I go the 10 second delay no matter how I had the jumpers configured. I realize that the documentation makes no mention of this. I ended up returning the drive. It was useless to me as it was.

When I worked for Magnetic Peripherals Inc. (Now Seagate), there were many cases when we manufactured drives for a specific client with "features" added or disabled in the hardware. IE: AT&T needed drives that only used the outer half of the cylinders to reduce errors inherent to the inner ones.

k, The startup disk showed the 2XP each time.

lv, I'll pull the serial number off of the 2XP and send a note off to IBM and see if they'd be kind enough to let me know whether this drive was customized.

In the meantime, I booted to the stock drive, wrote a quick Applescript that called the finder to restart, and placed it in the startup folder of the stock drive. I reset the startup to the 2XP and shut down. Started up, it went to the stock drive, did the march of the CDEVs, paused for a moment and restarted to the 2XP. This should work until I find another comparable drive that boots.

With much appreciation for all of your help! Regards,

Herb