Thread: New Barracudas not supported, HELP!!

I just purchased two Seagate Barracudas ATA 4's and an Acard RAID controller for my beige minitower. My OS cd couldn't be booted from so I figured that I could initialize one disk at a time using the original HD and motherboard controller.
    When I go into drive setup, it says that my new HD is unsupported. How do I get around this one?

HELP!

Thanks,
    Holly

Holly,

Those Barracudas will work, no doubt. We need to figure out what your going to boot on while the two drives are hooked to the Acard. You will not be able to initialize them in a non-raid configuration or on another bus and have them work on the raid.

With the drives installed are you able to still leave your original drive hooked up? Why are you not able to boot off the CD?

I usually install the drves on the Acard with the switch in the non-raid position. Bootup with extensions off, initialize the drives. At this point I have utilities that I can test them with for performance.

I then shutdown, switch the switch over to RAID and reboot with extensions off again. I then use Apple Drive Setup to select and initialize the RAID volume. Then test that RAID for performance.

Let me know what you have going to get a boot so we can figure out how to fix this.

Rick

What version OS is the CD? k

OS 9.2 Unfortunately, I lost my original CD's and this is a copy of the original my friend lent me.

Before I read the reply by ricks, I did initialize one of the disks off the motherboard, however the other disk was "unsupported" by Disk Utilities. I'm not sure why my computer is able to read one disk and not the other. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to install the disks to the card and boot from one of the original HD's. Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

Holly,

I read hat Acard ATA-133 RAID 0 Controller manual until my eyes glazed over trying to figure out in its broken English why it spent so much time with explaining booting off of the OS CD. I gave up and did what Ricks says. Attach the two drives each to its own channel on the card (using both cables and the Master connector) with each drive jumpered as Master. Set the Acard DIP switches both down/off for Normal Mode. Startup and use Drive Setup to initialize the drives. I used Drive Setup version 2.0.7 which comes with OS9.2.1 and installs an Apple driver version 8.1.4 (I don't know why there needs to be so many version numbers with one utility).

Shutdown and move DIP 2 to up/on (Striping Mode). Startup and you can once again go to Drive Setup and initialize. Actually I did it a little differently at this point at Rick's suggestion. I booted into OS9.2.2, launched Drive Setup and it showed the two drives as one and I highlighted it and it wanted to Initialize but I didn't do it. Instead closed Drive Setup, and rebooted into OS10.1.2 and used the drive utility for OSX (whose name I fail to remember, Disk Utility?) to initialize, partition, and install both OSX driver and OS9 driver (there is a box to checkmark for doing this OS9 driver option).

That should do it and without all of that CD stuff the manual goes into ad nauseum. Did I miss anything or say it wrong Rick? k

Thanks ricks + kaye - both of you are a terrific help.

I'm starting to get the feeling that one of my new hard drives isn't working properly and perhaps even the Acard.

The drive 1) When the machine starts up, the supposedly bad drive spins up but softly clicks periodically until the clicking fades out. The (perhaps) good drive makes no clicking sound and continues to spin while the (perhaps) bad drive stops spinning altogether.

So far, I haven't been able to get the card to see either hard drives.

Now, I'll just try to start up without the suspected bad drive and see if my machine will at least acknowledge the presence of one drive.
    Note - the system profiler does see my Acard, but calls it a SCCI card. Don't know if this has any consequence.

Thanks,
    Holly

k - Silly question, but what do you mean by master connector? Do you mean the master power connector? I think I know which one this may be but perhaps this may be critical to my problem.

Holly,

Hate it when that happens.

First, the Acard will appear as a SCSI card to Apple System Profiler. That appears fine.

Are you able to initialize the good Cuda with it attached to the Acard with the switches both in the down position away from the off markings?

You should be able to use and test the drives in non-raid on the Acard. I wouldn't even switch the #2 to on for raid until both drives work properly.

Next try Disk First Aid on the unsupported drive. You should be able to verify it.

The only utility I have that manipulates ATA drives well is FWB. Disk Warrior will attempt to look at them and TechToolPro has some limited functionality. If you have any of these see what they might do.

If those don't work you need a replacement in my very humble opinion. (Somebody else could have a solution that easily shows me wrong)

Try that and post back.

Rick

Kaye was refering to using the connectors on the ends of the data cables which are for the master drive. Also make sure both your drives are configured as master. Both.

Rick

Thanks...unfortunately, I think my original HD has failed on me so I no longer have a copy of the OS to draw from. I'm now trying to again boot of the CD. It happened once by itself yesterday so I'm hoping for the best. (I never thought the road would take me here!)
    Note - my computer comes with two pairs of power plugs on the inside, one pair was going to the zip and CD drives the other pair was going to my hard drives. Just so I could attach my new drives to the card and to the power cables at the same time, I've been using these Y extensions to reach. Is there any thing I need to know about the use of the power cords ei. some cords can't be mixed or that they all need to terminate into a device?

Whew. Pray for me. Thanks for all your help..

Were rootin for ya Holly!

At least there's one thing you don't have to worry about, that's the power connectors. Those are just like extension cords. What isn't plugged in isn't doing anything so don't worry about those.

A 4 connector molex is the same no matter where it hooks up at. So the one on the zip is the same as the one on the hard drive. Putting a Y adapter on any one of those will satisfy your needs. I probably wouldn't recommend putting two Y connectors on the same power lead and trying to run three devices. That's about it though.

Keep us informed, love to hear of your success. Sorry to hear the problems your having are so complex as to include your CD and your old drive, that is tough.

Good Luck
    Rick

Thanks everyone. Whenever I have this drive attached at all to my machine in either the motherboard or the acard, the machine doesn't start up properly. I can't even get to Disk First Aid or the CD drive to do tests. I'll be returning it to the supplier and get a new one ASAP!