Thread: Seagate ST15150N Question

I give, hope someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

The subject drive is ID-1 on my SCSI-0, OS 8.6 system boots fine from ID-0. The machine is a Mac 7600 with a XLR8 zif card carrying a G3 366MHz processor.

The 15150N has jumpers on "Term power from SCSI bus" and "Enable drive term", other than SCSI ID-1 no other jumpers are applied, ID-0 has no terminators.

The problem, I see the 15150 drive using software but it's considered unmountable (nor formatable) via Apple Drive setup 1.7.3, LaCie SilverLining Pro 6.4.4 sees it too but finds errors trying to format it. SCSI-Probe sees the drive but shows it has Eight Logical Units, 0-7 and can't mount anything.

This drive worked fine in a PC I just upgraded to a larger drive but I'm at a loss as to what's happening on my Mac. I see no relevance but I also have an Adaptec 2940UW with two ST15150W in an external box that work just fine.

So where have I gone wrong?

Hello,

It sounds like that drive was formatted on a PC and that is your problem. It will have to be reformatted by a Mac hard disk utility before it can be used on your mac. This means you will lose the data on the drive unless you want to get real creative.

Regards

BRCEE,
    You sound like you have tons of scsi knowledge, forgive me for asking what might seem obvious.

The drive in question is physically the last drive on the cable? So often an added drive gets put in the middle where active termination would not be appropriate and from the factory the ID0 drive would have been on the end.

Just makin' sure.
    Rick

My thanks to "MacMikester" and "ricks" for replying but both scenarios have been covered in this case. Yes it was originally PC formatted and reformatting for Mac was my goal but I kept getting failures. As for the SCSI chain, I've tried both middle and end of SCSI-O with proper terminations applied to the respective drive. I've also utilized CD and an "emergency" Zip as a Boot Drive with the Seagate only on SCSI-0 with the same failed result.

Now for the good news. I scrounged up another SCSI ribbon and tied the Seagate to the SCSI-1 channel. Exact same jumper setting as on SCSI-0 but it now formats and tests fine. I don’t know how it’ll affect efficiency but that’s why I utilize the Adaptec card.

I’ll monitor this posting to see if someone pins down where I went wrong on SCSI-0.

A collective thanks to responders ...

OS X 10.1 can format most anything if you can put it on a machine running X.1. Drive Setup 2.07 also has more support for full range of drives. SL Pro should also. One thing worth trying in some cases is the full FWB HDT 4.5 has a little program to restore the default factory mode. ATTO ExpressPro Tools is free and can sometimes format drives which you can then reinitialize with what you need.

I like to install Drive Setup (2.07) and run Test to map out bad sectors. You can run it in the background, don't have to worry about running to completion, can be stopped at any time.

Gregory

You need the original SCSI magician.

Batsignal invoked to magician!