Thread: Mac G3 freezes on boot

I have a Mac G3 266 beige desktop that won't boot up. The machine is running system 9.1 and will recognize the disk and give a welcome screen but then freezes up after the progress bar moves about 1/4 inch but before any icons show up at the bottom of the screen. I tried booting with the Apple system CD, a Disk Doctor CD and a Disk Warrior CD all with the same results. The CD's were running either system 9.0, 9.1 or 9.2. I haven't tried an older system yet. I did try zapping the PRAM and starting with the extensions off with no change in results. The only change in the machine is that I put in a new battery yesterday.

Any ideas?

I did some more checking and can get the machine up and running without a problem by unhooking the scsi cables. I am looking for the problem there now. It has a Umax Scanner, Nikon CoolScan and Minlota PC card reader attached. It appears to be the Nikon scanner that is the problem. All that has been on that machine for at least a year.

SCSI voodoo - try checking all the termination settings and then put the devices back on, one at a time ensuring that they are working well before you bolt the other ones one.. Might be that somehow changing the battery nuked what the machine knew in terms of external SCSI devices..??

Chris

I had this exact problem with my G4 dual 500 and tried at least everything mentioned in the previous posts.

The solution was to replace the Adaptec 2906 SCSI card that I'm using for my Imacon scanner. Pulling the card fixed everything. I discovered this only after reinstalling the system, fiddling with extensions endlessly, doing a hardware test and/or pulling RAM chips. The 2906 had been working since March but apparently failed gradually and lately. Adaptec was very quick to accomodate me and sent me a replacement next day via FedEx. Since then, no problems. Disconnecting the SCSI cable is not enough if your card has failed.