Thread: Apple 17" Display tubes??

I have an older Apple Dislpay and it seems the tubes are going. It's my second monitor so it's not critical but I'm wondering if I can find replacement tubes inexpensively or is it cheaper to buy a new monitor. Thanks for any suggestions.

If you have a 1710 or Colorsync 17, I would definitely buy a new monitor!!!

tachyon Guest

what do you mean by "the tubes are going"? They don't generally "go" anywhere- it's usually the flyback transformer (big black thing) that needs a tweak.

I'm only guessing that the tubes are going. The symptoms are actually a periodic flickering and there is also some fading and distorted color. What else could it be?

There is only one tube in a modern monitor and that's the CRT (The display itself). Flickering could be caused by excessive dust inside causing arcing from the flyback coil or wire. Fading is a good sign of a failing CRT and distorted colors indicate a need to degause (demagnetize) the screen.

IronMac's right though. It would be far less headache and cheaper to buy another monitor.

How do you degause a monitor?

Most modern monitors come with a degausing coil built-in. You can find the switch for it within the monitor's controls. This is very effective for minor problems but severe problems require severe solutions. You could take the monitor to your local TV repairman and pay him to degauss it for you, or for those of us that are monetarily challenged, there's the do-it-yourself method¨÷

1) Beg, borrow or steal an old Soldering Gun. An Iron won't do. It must be the type with the bent copper wire, like the one your dad used to destroy the family TV way back when.

2) Connect the monitor to the computer and run SimpleText. Open the empty document to fill as much of the screen as possible. This is to produce a white screen that you can more readily see the distortion.

3) Now, hold the Soldering Iron sideways in front of the screen about 1 inch away. Press the trigger fully (to turn it on high) and start slowly rotating it clockwise in reference to the screen while drawing it away from the screen. As you do this, you will see the screen distorting where the gun is. Keep rotating and pulling away until the distortion ceases.

4) Let go of the trigger. Go back to step 3 and repeat until the distortion is completely gone.

[This message has been edited by lasvegas (edited 03 December 2001).]