Thread: Modem control panel has no USB option!!

I have a 7500 upgraded to the hilt (well almost) 512mb ram, IDE card, 40gb and 20gb drives, G3 400mhz u/g, USB/FW card, video card it is really really happy!! Until I try and use the USB modem I have bought!! The control panel has only got the usual printer or modem port option - how on earth can I get a USB option in there?
    The printer is picked up automatically, my card reader works fine, but the modem isn't recognised at all. System Profiler recognises it as a communication device, but nothing else seems to want to know.

Help please!!!

What brand modem are you using? Check the companies web site and make sure you're using the latest drivers for it.

I'm using a usb modem on my PCP. I like that it frees up a serial port, but hate that it takes over the phone line on restarts until the usb drivers kick in.

UP

[This message has been edited by Urinal Puck (edited 17 November 2001).]

One more thought, what OS are you using? The later operating systems have much more USB support.

UP

Do a Custom Install Add/Remove and there is an option for Add-on USB cards. At least in 9.1 and 9.2.1. There is also USB for built-in.

I would think that Tango etc cards would come with software or link to Apple's web site.

Remember those demos by Steve and "automatically" search for missing drivers? Useless mumbo jumbo 99% unless it is an Apple driver. The USB vendors just use Apple's anyway. At least Windows ask for CD or goes to web to find (hard to do for a non-working modem I know, catch-22 yet again!).

Remember the OS, the maker of the card (Sonnet, OrangeMicro) might help more than how much RAM etc. Maybe post the ASP report?

Gregory

Thanks guys for the speedy response - last time I posted this question in September it didn't get a single answer - so I went and bought the modem anyway!!
    Right, I am using a "PC" modem with no Apple drivers, I have a "PC" V92 on one of my other macs using "Error Correcting Hayes Compatible" script and it works beautifully, so thinking (having not had a reply to my earlier thread) that I might be able to do the same with a USB V92 modem.
    I am running OS9.1, with an "unbranded" USB/FW combo, possibly Evergreen, I bought off ebay several months ago, and having installed the Orangelink drivers, I have not had any problems running anything at all.
    As I said, the ASP recognises it as a modem, but it does not show up anywhere for me to allocate it to a port.
    I have installed a couple of mac drivers, one of them Intel, for USB modems anticipating that I would be able to pick up a generic driver rather than having to use a specific one.
    The main reason I went down this road is because there is almost no option here in the UK but to buy a Swann Macsurfer at the equivalent of $90! and I hate being ripped off for having the nerve to use macs!! So until companies like Swann start giving us proper prices I will attaempt to champion the cause and try and find soliutions for me and everyone else.
    If I can't solve this one I will have no option but to put this one up on ebay and buy another serial modem and change the lead.
    I will check the USB driver install and make sure that there are no conflicts, but I apart from the Orangelink stuff and the 9.1 drivers there isn't much else in there.

So come on guys - there has to be a way around this!!

ok, a bit more information, the modem is an OEM, so no real help there, the drivers are listed direct from the supplier's website so no help much there either. Apart from the case shape (it looks a bit like a bow-tie) it is identical form to the Swann.
    So why can I buy this modem for a PC for around $40 and a Swann kicks in at $90 - can't cost that much to write a driver!!

Bit of misinformation - I did not try this modem first with my 7500 - I first tried it with my 6500 using a Xircom 2 port USB card, no drivers required for the card. Same OS9.1, same result - AOL did not detect the modem and therefore could not be activated.

[This message has been edited by Baggy (edited 17 November 2001).]

I bought a v.92 SupraMax PC USB modem (Sonic Blue) thinking like you did. I've owned half a dozen Supra modems and yet this one - well they said it would not ever have Mac support or firmware - and even OS X 10.1 doesn't recognize it.

Whatever it is Apple does, and 9.1 "broke" a lot of serial/USB modems, with more stringent "standards" they have put users in a bind, and too different from PC modems which drives up the cost of developing and support.

OS X 10.1.1 is so different that writing drivers that will work has hampered a nunber of companies that want to but lack APIs and documentation. And 10.2 has more changes. So writing for the Mac is trying to hit a moving target with undocumented or incomplete docs and APIs.

Gregory

thanks gregory, you have confirmed what I had concluded. 9.1 tightened up the standard to only recognising modems that have a CDC chip - this leaves the majority of USB modems out in the cold. It is possible to buy a conversion but is it worth the time and the expense? It is probably cheaper to use a USB to serial convertor and use a PC serial modem. I have not had any problems using my "PC" serial modem with 9.1, so it might be that only USB causes this problem.