Thread: My Mic won't work..

Hi guys, again! I haul my mac apart on regular occasions and am just about getting to know all the problems associated with it! Anyway I can't seem to get my macs microphone socket to work. I have a clean install of OS 9 the machine is essentially a G3 300MT with an added A/V card. The headphone socket works and I can play sound through my mac and out to my Hi Fi via the audio ports but I can't seem to get sound in via the mic port. Anyone any ideas?? I thought it might be conflicting SW but I tried it on a drive with none and still nothing. I think I must be missing an extension. I have the apple audio extension in the ext. folder. please help!

Are you using a PlainTalk (or compatible) mic? If not, that could explain it

Check to make sure nothing is stuck in the port that might be shorting it out, too.

Is your Sound Input set to "Sound In?" Check your Sound control panel.

p

you mean a std mic won't work in the mac port? I admit it isn't a mac mic. I have to use an apple one? it doesn't matter whether I use sound in or external mic neither detect a signal

Greentree, the plain talk mike has a longer plug than a pc mike. thats probably your problem. if you can't find one let me know and i'll send you one. i've got a box of them somewhere.

stewart

I fairly certain that the mic signal also needs to be amplified before it hits the port. The apple mics have a built in amplifier.

UP

Yes. The Microphone port in all Macs requires either a Plaintalk Microphone (with built-in pre-amp) or a 2V p-p signal. You can accomplish this by porting a small tape recorder between the mic and the port with the recorder set in record mode.